Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Just wondering if anyone knows the feasibility of putting a 128gb chip in a 16gb iPod Nano (7th generation). I'm assuming it isn't cost prohibitive...I would assume the most important question would be if there was a 128gb chip that is the same physical size as the 16gb. Then is it feasible to open up the device and put the new chip in, I guess.

Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone know of a company that does or could offer such a service?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Not very. The chip is mounted on the board in such a way as to make it next to impossible to remove. I'm sure that it can be done, but only with highly specialized, terribly expensive equipment.

The image here is of the logic board of the 7th generation iPod nano; the storage is the big honker down on the bottom.

Attachments

• Drqx3BTMbRcgQyQC.huge.jpeg
    Drqx3BTMbRcgQyQC.huge.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 908

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Not only is it next-to-impossible to solder a larger capacity chip there, the firmware and hardware likely won't recognize a larger amount of flash memory than it was designed to work with.

For example, I have a first-gen MacBook Pro. It can only handle 2GB of RAM. If I put in 4GB of RAM, the system will only see the first 2GB. It's a hardware limitation with its Core Duo processor.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Right now, the highest-capacity single-chip flash chip is 64 GB. So, no. You can't put 128 GB in a nano.

Even if there was, surface-mount soldering is a VERY tricky operation. Yes, there are people that could do it at home, but they have specialized equipment. This isn't a "do it with your run of the mill soldering iron" kind of job.

As for the "would it recognize it"? I don't know. Apple doesn't have any reason to have put IN the code necessary to recognize such a chip, but most storage code is pretty generic - and flash chips are "mass storage" chips, so it very well might work.

The problem with RAM, such as the MacBook Pro, is with system memory, not storage. Two completely different things. You can go ahead and put a 1 TB drive in a first-generation MacBook Pro no problem, or even a 768 GB flash drive. The RAM issue is system memory, not storage. Same with the iPod. The hard-drive-based iPods can have their storage replaced without too much difficulty, since it isn't soldered in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.