Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Hi all. Ive purchased a 2.3GHz Quad Core Intel® Core™ i7 which is being delivered on Tuesday. Since ordering i have been reading about problems with the graphics i.e. a snowing effect and the screen repeatedly going blank.
The reviews that i read are a few months old so was wondering if this has been fixed or if i would be better waiting for 10.8.3 to be released if it is still happening and see if the update fixes it. :confused:

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Apple has released a firmware update, and since then I have has no problems on my 2.6 i7.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Had my 2.3 i7. For 10 days. Not a problem. Use apple cinema. Tried both hdmi and thunderbolt port withadapters

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I got mine around Thanksgiving last year....used the HDMI output for a month before the firmware update came out and didn't see a problem....installed the firmware update and still haven't seen a problem.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I've had the 2.3 i7 for about a month now and have had absolutely no problems at all with the screen or anything else for that matter. I am using the DVI connection instead of the HDMI one, though.

I would recommend swapping out the RAM at least for something heftier; I've got 8GB in there right now, and it handles multiple safari tabs (about 9 or 10 most times), Parallels running Windows 8 and Wordperfect, and internet radio all at the same time seamlessly.

It's easily the best computer I've ever owned.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Again I use apple cinema screen with dvi connectors. In reading the forums I find that most of the users with problems are those that are using HDTV TV screens instead of Computer Monitors. ( AM I Wrong???)

cheers elo

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I ordered a 2012 Mini i7 about 10 days ago, and have had it up and running for a little over a week.

It came from the factory with the 10.8.2 update installed. No updates were necessary.

I have a second monitor hooked up via HDMI (to DVI), and have not had a single "glitch" during the times that monitor has been used. The display works as intended.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
You wont have any black screens after the update but your picture will look like sheit if you go HDMI=>HDTV.

Im still looking for a solution.

kimusy

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
whites are blown text blurry

My late 2012 mini with the latest firmware installed is still not right. The colors are washed out and the smaller text on web sites is blurry.

I'm using a samsung sync243t monitor. Connected via the dvi/hdmi. I use my computer for editing photos in photoshop cs6. Past the 14 days to return, so hoping the 10.8.3 update will fix the color problem.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
You wont have any black screens after the update but your picture will look like sheit if you go HDMI=>HDTV.

Im still looking for a solution.

Calibrate your system - then you will have a good picture

Its in settings somewhere

----------

My late 2012 mini with the latest firmware installed is still not right. The colors are washed out and the smaller text on web sites is blurry.

I'm using a samsung sync243t monitor. Connected via the dvi/hdmi. I use my computer for editing photos in photoshop cs6. Past the 14 days to return, so hoping the 10.8.3 update will fix the color problem.

And another - try calibrating your screen its in the settings area display advanced i think without looking as i am not on the mac.

This usually resolves washed out colours etc - did on mine after firmware i had no black screens but still awful colourwash until i ran the calibration. Now its a perfect output indeed on both my monitor and on the 42" Toshiba

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

People have mentioned hdmi problems. I'm not sure if a dvi --> mini displayport cable would work here. That is a very old display model.

And another - try calibrating your screen its in the settings area display advanced i think without looking as i am not on the mac.

This usually resolves washed out colours etc - did on mine after firmware i had no black screens but still awful colourwash until i ran the calibration. Now its a perfect output indeed on both my monitor and on the 42" Toshiba

That wouldn't resolve the blurry issue. Clipped whites are also typically hardware. In your case the thing must have assigned a profile that was a complete mismatch to your display. Unless the problem is the monitor profile itself, this won't be of any help.

kimusy

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
People have mentioned hdmi problems. I'm not sure if a dvi --> mini displayport cable would work here. That is a very old display model.

The monitor is working with the dvi/hdmi adapter I would not have bought the mini without knowing that it would work. I asked the sales person at the apple store. This is a problem I think with the gpu and software. If only certain monitors with dvi inputs will work with the mini their should have been a disclosure list of some kind.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
If only certain monitors with dvi inputs will work with the mini their should have been a disclosure list of some kind.

I dont remember seeing any dvi issues with specific monitors, perhaps you missunderstood?

As far as ive seen the issue was hdmi output only affected; the miniDP was not affected.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The monitor is working with the dvi/hdmi adapter I would not have bought the mini without knowing that it would work. I asked the sales person at the apple store. This is a problem I think with the gpu and software. If only certain monitors with dvi inputs will work with the mini their should have been a disclosure list of some kind.

People have mentioned problems with the HD 4000 and HDMI. I was referring to that. I hate HDMI.

ukilnme

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
New Orleans
New to Mac

Hey Guys and Girls, I too have just purchased New Mac Mini, only one day so far and no issues with hdmi, but I did update 1st. thing out the box.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Hi all. Ive purchased a 2.3GHz Quad Core Intel® Core™ i7 which is being delivered on Tuesday. Since ordering i have been reading about problems with the graphics i.e. a snowing effect and the screen repeatedly going blank.
The reviews that i read are a few months old so was wondering if this has been fixed or if i would be better waiting for 10.8.3 to be released if it is still happening and see if the update fixes it. :confused:

I was seeing the problem all the time, have not seen it once since the firmware update.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I tried an asus monitor with HDMI as well as a Samsung 55" HDTV w/ HDMI - no issues.

I did have the washed out colors initially, but since calibrating it, the colors are deep and it looks great. I have no blurriness on text, everythings very clear..

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Thanks for all the feedback. Been using TB to hdmi on macbbok air and 24"Phillips Moda and the pic has been perfect. Looks like tomorrow will be a great day for another addition to my mac family. :D

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Well contacted the superb apple support and was told that what i should have done was use migration assistant. So I did. and guess what it was just as bad.
Started to panic that i had a faulty model so decided to do a fresh install of everything as a last resort. Hey presto its now flying. Upgraded to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMX...5A/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1359833179&sr=8-15 today and ive got myself a little rocket ship.

BilbooToo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Hi,

Sorry cos I know the 'which RAM' question has been done to death on this forum, but how does that RAM compare to Crucial's?

Got the 2.6 i7 and looking to upgrade to 16gb.

Thanks.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I still have HDMI/blackout/snowy picture issues with HDMI to HDMI, infact mine doesnt even boot from HDMI, well I get no picture anyway and yes I have the latest firmware installed.

I am using the MDP to HDMI with colour calibration as the colours are looked *****! but is working fine this way. Hoping 10.8.3 will fix the issues.

I have 16GB Crucial ram, not tried anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.