Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:15 PM   #51
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Sadly, this is all too common. I've noticed that when it comes to Facebook, any text shared as a image is spread around like fire (and obviously believed as they usually say "share to save a life" or something along the lines).

Some are just so twisted and sick, yet *still* spread around and believed. It amazes me how gullible people are.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:25 PM   #52
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Sadly, this is all too common. I've noticed that when it comes to Facebook, any text shared as a image is spread around like fire (and obviously believed as they usually say "share to save a life" or something along the lines).

Some are just so twisted and sick, yet *still* spread around and believed. It amazes me how gullible people are.
Yep. One popped up on my news feed today. In all reality, I'm not even sure I know the guy. We have like 20 mutual friends, and I think when he friend-requested me, we each thought we must have known each other back when we were on tour with the same show. But I think we were on two separate years. Anyway, I haven't deleted him mostly because of his insane life and listening to his crazy rants.

Anyhoo...today he posted one that said:
"Well, he officially eliminated the 1st amendment! Next up, the 2nd amendment. Only a few more to destroy and he still has over 3 years to do it....way to go Obama supporters!"
And he linked to a Fox News video from last year in which the talking heads there tried to convince the viewers that Obama had secretly passed some legislation which made it a felony to protest or to even ask Obama a question he didn't like.

Of course, this sounded like pure hoo-hysteria to me, so I looked it up (shocking, I know). It turns out that the bill (HR347) was nothing more than a clarification of a law that had already been on the books for some 40 years. The bill was sponsored by a Republican, and passed the Senate unanimously, and the House with a 339-3 vote. The bill started two years ago, and was signed almost a year ago. And somehow now it's Obama killing America.

Yes, people will believe anything, especially if it strengthens their already warped view of reality.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:03 PM   #53
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Yep. One popped up on my news feed today. In all reality, I'm not even sure I know the guy. We have like 20 mutual friends, and I think when he friend-requested me, we each thought we must have known each other back when we were on tour with the same show. But I think we were on two separate years. Anyway, I haven't deleted him mostly because of his insane life and listening to his crazy rants.

Anyhoo...today he posted one that said:
"Well, he officially eliminated the 1st amendment! Next up, the 2nd amendment. Only a few more to destroy and he still has over 3 years to do it....way to go Obama supporters!"
And he linked to a Fox News video from last year in which the talking heads there tried to convince the viewers that Obama had secretly passed some legislation which made it a felony to protest or to even ask Obama a question he didn't like.

Of course, this sounded like pure hoo-hysteria to me, so I looked it up (shocking, I know). It turns out that the bill (HR347) was nothing more than a clarification of a law that had already been on the books for some 40 years. The bill was sponsored by a Republican, and passed the Senate unanimously, and the House with a 339-3 vote. The bill started two years ago, and was signed almost a year ago. And somehow now it's Obama killing America.

Yes, people will believe anything, especially if it strengthens their already warped view of reality.
It's basically political terrorism. They make up things that aren't true in order to intimidate, strike terror, and make people afraid in order for political gains.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:12 AM   #54
Agathon
macrumors 6502a

Not hard to understand why a lot of people do this. Look at it from their point of view.

If you admit that beliefs should be justified via logic and evidence, you place yourself at the mercy of people who are better at logic and gathering evidence than you. This is empowering if you are smart and disempowering if you are dumb.

On the other hand, if you simply insist on believing what you want to believe, come what may, you don't have that problem. Hence, if you're dumb, this is almost always a socially empowering move.

Anyone who's a genuine expert on something is likely to have discovered how difficult it is to persuade people in an informal situation (unlike in a classroom where a hierarchy is enforced) no matter what your qualifications.

Knowledge is power. Thus, it renders those who don't have it powerless. It's in those people's self interest to make everything a matter of faith or opinion. It's in a way quite rational.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:36 AM   #55
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

People are easily duped because they generally want to believe what they think is true. The supply is inexhaustible and if it weren't for gullible people other people wouldn't last long in society.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:19 AM   #56
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

The gullible people certainly keep these two not only surviving but rolling in dough:

Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:41 PM   #57
senseless
macrumors 65816

Follow the leader. It's human nature. And some people are just a little nutty.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:54 PM   #58
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
Follow the leader. It's human nature. And some people are just a little nutty.
I agree, but I know that everyone is a little nutty, especially those that think they aren't.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:02 PM   #59
MacNut
macrumors P6

In a lot of ways it is the safety net attitude. People want a comfort zone and don't want to venture too far outside of it so they believe in what makes them feel good.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues