Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:45 PM   #26
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through.
What, like Linux? It has two major problems, the first of which it shares with Windows: it works on millions of different hardware configurations, leading to potentially millions of unique bugs. OSX only has to work on a few dozen, making it less likely to be buggy, and able to be optimised - touchpad support is the most obvious example of this.

The second problem is also a strength - there are more distributions than I can count, which means software availability is patchy, but also means it can be anything you want it to be.
rbrian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:49 PM   #27
Xe89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisiX-windows View Post
I find it odd considering how awful skype is for mac, it should be okay for windows.
There are two different Skype for Windows 8. The regular desktop application (which is similar to that on OSX) and the "new style" aka Windows Store aka Metro Skype application (which is more similar to mobile applications). The latter only accepts Microsoft accounts (that is, Hotmail, Xbox, Zune, Outlook accounts), not older Skype accounts although you can link them.

Regarding the antivirus: Windows 8 has built-in antivirus, it is called Defender. This is not the same Defender as in Windows 7 but instead the Defender of Windows 8 is a rebranded MSE.

Last edited by Xe89; Mar 10, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Xe89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:56 PM   #28
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
What, like Linux? It has two major problems, the first of which it shares with Windows: it works on millions of different hardware configurations, leading to potentially millions of unique bugs. OSX only has to work on a few dozen, making it less likely to be buggy, and able to be optimised - touchpad support is the most obvious example of this.

The second problem is also a strength - there are more distributions than I can count, which means software availability is patchy, but also means it can be anything you want it to be.
Quite. So Linux isn't going to be the third OS. It's not 'consumer-ready'. It's an OS for computer geeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chrome OS is Google's beta for a full-fledged computer OS. And it's about time someone tried, because Windows is rubbish and Apple have lost direction.
tekno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:15 PM   #29
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

This is why I'm a mac!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:17 PM   #30
MaloCS
macrumors member

I guess I'm in the minority because I ditched a 2011 iMac for a Dell with Window 8. Different strokes and all that.
MaloCS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #31
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular

Take it back and get a Mac Pro.

Seriously, you can put widows 8 on it and run it native, so there's no reason to not get a Mac except if you don't have the money to afford it... Then just save up!

I run windows 7 on my Mac when I want to play windows-only games. Does great!

Don't make the mistake if not returning that machine and buying an apple laptop. Don't make THAT mistake!
LightOnAHill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:00 AM   #32
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Quite. So Linux isn't going to be the third OS. It's not 'consumer-ready'. It's an OS for computer geeks.
i disagree. i know relatively very little about computers and i'm certainly not a "computer geek" in the positive sense of the word and i am a linux user. there are many distributions of Linux that are designed so that anyone with gui experience would be perfectly comfortable using them. the problem is computers have historically shipped with either an apple or a windows os.

that is slowly changing. and as there have been so many terrible windows releases many people over the years have just downgraded to XP or switched to linux - and the number of people doing the latter is growing.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:27 PM   #33
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissaragi View Post
seems a bit suspicious for a first and only post. Tim, is that you?
ROTFLMAO

RGDS,

P.S. Sorry for this null P.S., but forum does not accept messages in all caps.
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:14 PM   #34
twintin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
that is slowly changing. and as there have been so many terrible windows releases many people over the years have just downgraded to XP or switched to linux - and the number of people doing the latter is growing.
Are you kidding me ? After more than two decades Linux barely reaches obove 1% of the user base as desktop OS. How many computers in an ordinary electronic store have any variant of Linux preinstalled (have not found any) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

Whether you like it or not, Linux is, have always been and most likely will always be a hobbyist OS, at least as desktop OS.
twintin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:08 PM   #35
617aircav
macrumors 68000

Troll on OP. You act as if you never used windows before, and you have. I have a windows gaming laptop and I love it. Not as much as my air.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:48 PM   #36
buysp
macrumors 6502

Btw OP (Tim), what vendor is it? Sony have always given me a great windoze experience!
But i wouldnt swap it for OSX!

Last edited by buysp; Mar 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
buysp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:06 AM   #37
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

This kind of crap is why I switched in the first place. Now I have Windows 7 on bootcamp and every time I log on it has some problem. Most of the time it is related to the 750 updates it's trying to download or the updates that failed to install last time. It took me forever to fix all of the settings to stop it from giving me warning messages every 10 seconds. Microsoft overcharges you more than Apple too. Apple hardware is expensive but at least you get something for your money. Mac software is dirt cheap compared to Windows stuff.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:21 PM   #38
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

A favorite local burger restaurant runs a radio ad ending:
"Sure, you could buy a hamburger for a dollar...but then you'd have to eat it."
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:36 PM   #39
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintin View Post
Are you kidding me ? After more than two decades Linux barely reaches obove 1% of the user base as desktop OS. How many computers in an ordinary electronic store have any variant of Linux preinstalled (have not found any) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

Whether you like it or not, Linux is, have always been and most likely will always be a hobbyist OS, at least as desktop OS.
wow...hard to argue with cold facts. maybe i'm just being too optimistic...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:53 PM   #40
bluebayou
Banned

just out of curiosity--and sorry if this was already mentioned in a pervious post, I skimmed pretty quickly--but what model laptop did you buy exactly, what company, etc? just for comparison's sake lol.. i mean if it was a crappy HP thang I would totally understand, but ASUS's new ultrabook is pretty legit.

i love my mba tho hehe
bluebayou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:07 AM   #41
2IS
macrumors 68000

I'd take this post more seriously if

A) You weren't exaggerating about well... Everything

and

B) You weren't blaming windows for a user deficiency.

I switch between platforms often and don't have these issues. Windows 8 doesn't have a dock because it's windows 8, not OSX and has a different interface.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:25 AM   #42
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipapis View Post
Sorry, I have to go now. I have a vírus scan to make.
LoL you people are sooo funny. I recently bought a windows computer and had ZEREO issues as you describe. Did you buy a 2008 version? My windows 8 machine had one update to download.... the rMBP I bought a few weeks ago also had a DL that needed to be done. Any chance to rip a windows machine for some of you lol. OP, meet life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
Good warning. Windows 8 is like getting screwed by a rusty pole by a guy named bubba. Avoid at all cost!
Do you even own a windows 8 machine? I doubt you do.

Last edited by AFDoc; Mar 13, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:30 AM   #43
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
A favorite local burger restaurant runs a radio ad ending:
"Sure, you could buy a hamburger for a dollar...but then you'd have to eat it."
haha - i absolutely LOVE that slogan!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air