Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Hi, OP if you bought if from apple store directly (either locked or unlocked) go down to the store, talk nicely - they might replace it with t-mobile iPhone for you.

again, be nice to them, they have no obligation to do.

I tried that, they would not because I bought it from best buy (if you bought it from ATT or apple, you might be able to get replacement).

Also remember, once t-mobile moves on to LTE on AWS you would NOT need the AWS for HSPA, so you are looking around 6 months time, with metro pcs merger - it is even better.

----------

T-Mobile metro pcs merger was approved today. We just hot a huge chunk of 1700/2100 MHz frequency for T-Mobile's LTE/LTEa network.

t-mobile LTE will work on ATT iPhone 5 (2012) model or unlocked iPhone 5 model (2012) if your area has LTE.

Only HSPA is disabled on 1700/2100 MHz.

----------

You mean in 2 years when T-Mobile is able to use that spectrum after they get MetroPCS users off the network. They certainly aren't using it today.

They are already using it select markets, both Metro PCS and t-mobile using AWS for their LTE (but I think slightly different with CDMA and GSM). But soon MetroPCS customers will move to GSM 1700/2100 LTE (t-mobile infrastructure).

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
You mean in 2 years when T-Mobile is able to use that spectrum after they get MetroPCS users off the network. They certainly aren't using it today.
They could start using and swapping today and be completed 6 months easy.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Blame Apple or T-Mobile?

Promoting cheating/theft buddy ?

The reason for the warranty is to fix a defect in the phone. The iPhone has the hardware capable of running the 1700/2100 AWS band but it does not work. Now if a phone has the hardware for something but that hardware does not do what it is supposed to than technically that is a defect.

I fail to see how he was promoting cheating and theft, you need to get over yourself and maybe read a dictionary.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I wouldn't actually mind if they even charge a small fee to reflash the older iphone 5 from the factory so consumers can get the option for full band support
Back in 2007, Apple enabled 802.11n mid-cycle in Core 2 Duo Macs.

All Core 2 Duo Macs had a chipset capable of supporting 802.11n, but for the first few months of production, 802.11n was disabled.

Then one day Apple started to sell Core 2 Duo Macs with 802.11n enabled.

IIRC, even though it was physically the same hardware, Apple was required to charge owners of early Core 2 Duo Macs to enable 802.11n.

InfoWorld did a story on it here.

Don't know if that regulation applies to iPhones, but if it does, perhaps Apple doesn't want to spend the resources to setup an infrastructure to charge for this update.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
They could start using and swapping today and be completed 6 months easy.

Except they aren't. The process will take more than a year (most likely 2) before they convert all users. They aren't going to be forcing users to upgrade this year according to T-Mobile. Most people in the know have said T-Mobile users will not even begin to see any benefit until the second half of 2014 as they may squeeze some of the existing MetroPCS spectrum once they dwindle the number of MetroPCS users down to a smaller number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.