Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YOO-NIX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Can anyone recommend a good UNIX for beginners book? I have decided to totally make the switch over to Mac not just IOS but OS X and entire suite of products. I am a more of a power user coming from a dual boot Windows/Linux environment. Any suggestions?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Can anyone recommend a good UNIX for beginners book? I have decided to totally make the switch over to Mac not just IOS but OS X and entire suite of products. I am a more of a power user coming from a dual boot Windows/Linux environment. Any suggestions?

For beginners? but you say you are coming from a Linux background?

If you are already knowable about Linux, you will not see much difference with BSD Unix. For the subtle differences, what you need is in the "man pages" and those are already on the Mac. Just fire up a thermal session and type "man cp" to read about the "cp" command.

If you are just exloring the man pages the best thing is to use "man -k"

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States

If you dabble in Linux, you may enjoy Macports.

YOO-NIX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
For beginners? but you say you are coming from a Linux background?

If you are already knowable about Linux, you will not see much difference with BSD Unix. For the subtle differences, what you need is in the "man pages" and those are already on the Mac. Just fire up a thermal session and type "man cp" to read about the "cp" command.

If you are just exloring the man pages the best thing is to use "man -k"

My Linux builds had never been used as my daily driver, just something that I would occasionally try and dabble in. Yes i was in a dual boot environment with Windows/Linux. Like learning music I want to learn the theory behind the notes. Like learning pipes and redirection etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.