Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 30, 2013, 06:31 AM   #76
Baunkjaer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Baunkjaer
MP as in signature.
Nothing fancy. My MP doesnīt make money - itīs the other way
Casual PhotoShop when I feel for it. Otherwise as a regular desktop - just without Windows.
I felt in love with the MP, first time I saw one, and last year I decided to "go all in".
It had never let me down, so Iīve no regrets.

MP 5,1, W3690, 24GB, 250GB 840 EVO [Solo x2], 120GB OWC 3G, 1TB, HD 5870, 2*Dell P2314H
MBA 6,2, 1,4GHz (i5), 4GB, 128GB, HD5000  iPhone 6  2TB TC
Baunkjaer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:53 AM   #77
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Did you put your SSD into the optibay or where? I have the same system minus the drives and ram.
Yes. I bought the SSD from OWC with a kit to firmly install the drive in the optical bay. The kit includes a cable to connect the drive to the extra SATA on the mother board.

When i use my wife,s Mac or my Macbook I really notice how good this SSD boot drive is.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:57 AM   #78
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2006ster View Post
Yes. I bought the SSD from OWC with a kit to firmly install the drive in the optical bay. The kit includes a cable to connect the drive to the extra SATA on the mother board.

When i use my wife,s Mac or my Macbook I really notice how good this SSD boot drive is.
Very cool. I just bought a 256G SSD and I put that in my Macbook. The 128G SSD that was in it will go into the MacPro. I just need to buy the adapters. I think I'll get the adapter for two SSDs. 128X2 in Raid0. Over kill? Maybe. Fun though.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #79
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Quote:
Very cool. I just bought a 256G SSD and I put that in my Macbook. The 128G SSD that was in it will go into the MacPro. I just need to buy the adapters. I think I'll get the adapter for two SSDs. 128X2 in Raid0. Over kill? Maybe. Fun though.
I like the idea of having the SSD securely fixed in the bay but I suspect you could just have it sitting in the bay or use a but of duct tape to strap it down. You will need the SATA cable though.

I now have a second SSD drive, the kit will hold two, but can't decide what to use it for. Perhaps as a backup of the boot drive or as a Snow Leopard boot drive for those apps that will not run in Lion e.g. my scanner and some older games. I do find your idea of the 128 x 2 Raid , intriguing.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #80
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2006ster View Post
I like the idea of having the SSD securely fixed in the bay but I suspect you could just have it sitting in the bay or use a but of duct tape to strap it down. You will need the SATA cable though.

I now have a second SSD drive, the kit will hold two, but can't decide what to use it for. Perhaps as a backup of the boot drive or as a Snow Leopard boot drive for those apps that will not run in Lion e.g. my scanner and some older games.
I could but, my "play" money it tight (read as very little) and I don't want to break anything to have to spend more. I have no problem waiting to order it and for it to come in.

Good idea. I might consider the second 128 and use CCC to clone my boot drive nightly. Hmm, I might just do that.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:21 PM   #81
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Quote:
I could but, my "play" money it tight (read as very little) and I don't want to break anything to have to spend more. I have no problem waiting to order it and for it to come in.

Good idea. I might consider the second 128 and use CCC to clone my boot drive nightly. Hmm, I might just do that.
Presently I backup my boot drive to a partition on one of my hard drives. With a smart backup this takes about 6 mins. If there is a new app or Os version I want to try I backup, install the app and if there are problems can revert to the former boot drive state.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro