Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
The question is: Can I set up my wife's new mini from her iCloud backup (she has an iPad 2) before I give it to her without it affecting her existing iPad?

We are flying out on Christmas Eve and i was going to swap them out in her purse before we left for the airport. There are two parts here, the iCloud backup ( i know this one) and the 3g component. The ATT is the issue how do i move the account to the mini? I fairly sure they won't run simultaneously so do i need to "uninstall" on the 2 and "install" the account on the mini?

Thanks

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Yeah, it's a piece of cake. I restored my new mini from the latest (at the time) backup of my iPad 3 stored in the cloud. Everything transferred beautifully, EXCEPT my music. Have had to do that manually every time and I don't know why. It shows up on the cloud but not on the device. The cellular thing is just as easy. When you go to set up service on the new one, one of your options will be to be to transfer service from another device. Both processes are very painless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.