Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
We went to UPS to pick up the wife's new mac pro, as we were at work when they first tried to deliver it
when we got there, the box was kicked to death with one corner taken out.
UPS couldn't give a ****, they wouldn't even accept they damaged the box

so while my wife was arguing with UPS I gave apple a call to find out what our options were

the reply from apple,
don't worry sir, take the computer from UPS
we will send you a new mac pro today and collect the other one at your convenience
we are very sorry for UPS being ****

brilliant, no need to mess with UPS' convoluted claims procedure
infact, no need to deal with UPS at all

Four days later, as promised, the new pro arrives
Then, we get an email from apple offering us £80 quid for the inconvenience

We didn't ask for any of this and we never once argued or blamed apple for anything

I do love apple

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
If only the quality control at their factories were as good as their customer service.

I do appreciate it's a little beyond Apple's ability to monitor, just sayin'!

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Not everyone has a happy ending with Apple. I have been an apple user for a very long time, and to be honest almost all the macs I own are still working fine with other family members.

But this DARN rMBP has been nothing but a nightmare. GPU throttles continuously, image retention is so bad that i can read previous webpages. Having to reset the SMC and PRAM to get this thing to even work some days.

Apple refuses to do anything about the other components, and will only fix the screen. When I have time to send them the complete unit(About 10 days round trip). Well sad thing is this is my business computer, and being without it while on several business trips is not an option.

So consider yourself extremely lucky, for me dealing with Apple has been absolutely terrible. If they can't repair this system or step up to the plate and even admit there are terrible issue with some RMBP's, well it just speaks volumes of where this company is going.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Not everyone has a happy ending with Apple. I have been an apple user for a very long time, and to be honest almost all the macs I own are still working fine with other family members.

But this DARN rMBP has been nothing but a nightmare. GPU throttles continuously, image retention is so bad that i can read previous webpages. Having to reset the SMC and PRAM to get this thing to even work some days.

Apple refuses to do anything about the other components, and will only fix the screen. When I have time to send them the complete unit(About 10 days round trip). Well sad thing is this is my business computer, and being without it while on several business trips is not an option.

So consider yourself extremely lucky, for me dealing with Apple has been absolutely terrible. If they can't repair this system or step up to the plate and even admit there are terrible issue with some RMBP's, well it just speaks volumes of where this company is going.

Do you have AppleCare on it? This sounds like an exception and not the norm. I have been extremely impressed with them, and have dealt with many IT vendors. Apple goes above and beyond to make their customers happy.

Maybe they will get a viable solution soon.

DonMega

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007

Purchased just after launch

Seems this is your problem... :p

Aug 5, 2012
Apple customer care is swings and round abouts... For every good story you hear a negative one.

They need to set a standard and work to it so that every customer knows what to expect

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
We went to UPS to pick up the wife's new mac pro, as we were at work when they first tried to deliver it
when we got there, the box was kicked to death with one corner taken out.
UPS couldn't give a ****, they wouldn't even accept they damaged the box

so while my wife was arguing with UPS I gave apple a call to find out what our options were

the reply from apple,
don't worry sir, take the computer from UPS
we will send you a new mac pro today and collect the other one at your convenience
we are very sorry for UPS being ****

brilliant, no need to mess with UPS' convoluted claims procedure
infact, no need to deal with UPS at all

Four days later, as promised, the new pro arrives
Then, we get an email from apple offering us £80 quid for the inconvenience

We didn't ask for any of this and we never once argued or blamed apple for anything

I do love apple

Apple CS is beyond doubt the best of ant company I have ever dealt with...Over here though, I have to say that UPS are excellent...Due to the logistics back home and the sheer size of the country, depots that stuff has to pass through I guess boxes are going to get dropped and damged from time to time, but as you have found, Apple are hot on this, and the £80 is nice....Maybe some apps?..:)

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Do you have AppleCare on it? This sounds like an exception and not the norm. I have been extremely impressed with them, and have dealt with many IT vendors. Apple goes above and beyond to make their customers happy.

Maybe they will get a viable solution soon.

Yes I have apple care, but then again why should that matter, if it comes with the 1 year base warranty. It should be repaired either way. I have taken my concerns all the ways to a senior member, and they have stated they would repair the screen and would check the system over. I setup the repair service and spoke to the repair technician. He informed me that the only thing they listed on the service report was to replace the screen, there was no mention of the throttling and having to reset the SMC.

What bothered me more was that I read some people have returned up to 9-10 rMBP for replacements. And I can't seem to even get this one taken care of. Apple has really really let me down on this one. The only way I can get my system repaired is to drive it to a certified apple service centre and have them make the repairs. That service centre is about 190 km's away from my home. So that is close on 800 km's of driving for me. Drive out drop it off, drive home. Wait for the repairs to be completed drive out, pick it up and drive home. The other alternative was to have it repaired here in Norway while I'm here on business. Ok let connect the dots here, I'm in Norway on business and they want me to take my system in to be repaired while I need it to do my business. It's makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

So being somewhat annoyed I spoke to the apple store here and they said it would take a week or so to have it repaired, as they have no screens in stock. I asked if they could order one and let me know when it arrives and complete the repair in a day. That was a no go, as they would need the system before they could order the screen.

So now I am completely pissed off with apple and the run around I have been getting. I have been trying as I might to get this system replaced, and all I get are road blocks. I have been a loyal apple customer for a very long time and feel apple are giving me the run around. I have emailed the Tim Cook email thing and have received nothing, not even we will look into it. So I have learnt my lesson here, loyalty only takes you so far.

My list of apple products are many.
17" MBP
15" MBP
2 x 15" UMBP
rMBP
27" Imac
20"
2 x Apple TV's
2 x iPhone 3G
Iphone 3Gs
2 x iPhone 4
2 x iPhone 5
2 x Apple iPad first Gen
Apple iPad 2
2 x apple iPods for my kids

So I guess I will start taking my money else where.

wsr101

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
Appaulled - received an email to notify my that apple had re-registered my MacBook Pro to someone else (who has stolen it or obtained it through theft) and apple did not even prevent this. The laptop is mine as the previous registration, email to myself, box with serial no and my extensive record of repairs clearly demonstrate. Apple have fobbed me off since - asking me to get the police to contact them only to refuse to release information to the police (of course by this point I had made numerous lengthy calls on the basis of advice received) - presumably this is because they realised that they made a mistake by re-registering my laptop to someone else - luckily they emailed me to ask for feedback on this (again demonstrating that they were complicit in knowingly re-registering my laptop!)

Since then i have received conflicting advice on each time i have called apple. I am absolutely disgusted and will be spreading the word!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Appaulled - received an email to notify my that apple had re-registered my MacBook Pro to someone else (who has stolen it or obtained it through theft) and apple did not even prevent this. The laptop is mine as the previous registration, email to myself, box with serial no and my extensive record of repairs clearly demonstrate. Apple have fobbed me off since - asking me to get the police to contact them only to refuse to release information to the police (of course by this point I had made numerous lengthy calls on the basis of advice received) - presumably this is because they realised that they made a mistake by re-registering my laptop to someone else - luckily they emailed me to ask for feedback on this (again demonstrating that they were complicit in knowingly re-registering my laptop!)

Since then i have received conflicting advice on each time i have called apple. I am absolutely disgusted and will be spreading the word!

Thanks for the heads up..

You should post this and your troubles in the MacBook Pro section.. there was a thread on this the last time a was there.

If someone can steal my 50# desktop 15' from where I sleep then I'll buy them a beer and let them keep the computer :D

Last edited:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
If someone can steal my 50# desktop 15' from where I sleep then I buy them a beer and let them keep the computer
That sounds like legitimate challenge from the owner of the Mac Pro. Now just provide your location and I am sure someone will take you up on your challenge. :D

If only the quality control at their factories were as good as their customer service.
The factories are not Apple's factories. The factories belong to Foxconn.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
they can be great. They've helped out with just magically extending the warranty period for items in the past. Apple's customer service is top notch.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
The factories are not Apple's factories. The factories belong to Foxconn.

I never said they were Apple's factories :confused:

What a strange fellow.

Did you not read what I had written at the bottom or do you deliberately get fired up over snippets of text taken out of context? Some people....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.