Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iqbalmmz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
California
Hi all

so I am using Apple Remote Desktop software to remote control & monitor client computers on a home network. however this time i am in need of remote controlling a client computer on a different network which is also located in a different country. I have this computers login credentials and the user of this computer has already provided me with its ip address (via ipchicken.com). Is what I am asking possible? If so, how may I access this computer? Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.... and it's free for personal use. It also works flawlessly between countries.

iqbalmmz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
California
I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.... and it's free for personal use. It also works flawlessly between countries.

Thank you GGJstudios. I used it and it worked!

However there is much latency which results in much video distortion, and it does not have drag and drop file transfer. Anyone know how to use the Apple Remote Desktop to accomplish my needed task?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you GGJstudios. I used it and it worked!

However there is much latency which results in much video distortion, and it does not have drag and drop file transfer. Anyone know how to use the Apple Remote Desktop to accomplish my needed task?
The latency is completely dependent on how fast the internet connections are, although you can adjust it somewhat by clicking View > Quality > Optimize Speed. Yes, the file transfer function doesn't support drag and drop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.