Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1
desertman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
Where does App Store store its downloads?

Where does App Store store its downloads?

I downloaded the full version of OS X 10.8 (almost 5 GB) through App Store and would like to keep this file. But where on my hard disk do I find it?
__________________
[i5 iMac; 2.7 GHz; 12 GB RAM; OS X 10.9 iPad Air; iOS 7.1 iPhone 4S; iOS 7.1 Apple TV 2; OS 5.2]

Last edited by desertman; Sep 6, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
desertman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Upgrades to Mac OS X are not available through Software Updates; only updates are. To upgrade from an earlier version of Mac OS X to 10.8, you have to buy 10.8 from the Mac App Store.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
talmy
macrumors 68040
 
talmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
Where does Software Update store its downloads?

I downloaded OS X 10.8 through Software Update and would like to keep this file. But where on my hard disk do I find it?
Assuming you mean the the Mac App Store, it goes into /Applications and is named "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" But once you have executed it to do the install the application will be deleted automatically. You need to save the application before doing the install or you need to download it again.
__________________
27" i7 iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Mavericks Server, 5 other Macs and an unused Apple TV.
talmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
Where does App Store store its downloads?

I downloaded the full version of OS X 10.8 (almost 5 GB) through App Store and would like to keep this file. But where on my hard disk do I find it?
it deletes itself after you go through the install process
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
desertman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Upgrades to Mac OS X are not available through Software Updates; only updates are. To upgrade from an earlier version of Mac OS X to 10.8, you have to buy 10.8 from the Mac App Store.
You are right. I did it with App Store, just used the wrong terms here first. Corrected that now. Thanks.

Still would like to know where the App Store downloads get stored.
__________________
[i5 iMac; 2.7 GHz; 12 GB RAM; OS X 10.9 iPad Air; iOS 7.1 iPhone 4S; iOS 7.1 Apple TV 2; OS 5.2]
desertman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:44 AM   #6
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
You are right. I did it with App Store, just used the wrong terms here first. Corrected that now. Thanks.

Still would like to know where the App Store downloads get stored.
applications folder
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Mal
macrumors 603
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
You are right. I did it with App Store, just used the wrong terms here first. Corrected that now. Thanks.

Still would like to know where the App Store downloads get stored.
And you were told: Applications. No special hidden folder or anything. If you've already done the installation, however, it gets deleted. If you wanted to save it, you have to move or copy it before you install.

jW
__________________
The Bearded Nerd
13" MacBook Pro; 64GB iPod touch
"It's a real burn, being right so often."
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:48 AM   #8
ivnj
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
That's funny I've installed 10.8 on my external drive and sd card and the icon never disappeared.
__________________
Mac mini 2011 2.3ghz i5 2gb ram.
ivnj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:51 AM   #9
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivnj View Post
That's funny I've installed 10.8 on my external drive and sd card and the icon never disappeared.
thats why people suggest to move it if you want to keep it its deletes if you install OSX on the same partition that install file is on
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:52 AM   #10
desertman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
I downloaded it throughout the night onto my iMac that came already with OS X 10.8. This morning I found a window "Install OS X - To set up the installation of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, click Continue." open on my desktop but I did not install anything; this window is still open now.

However, I do not find any downloaded OS X 10.8 file in Applications. And, strangely enough, in App Store under Purchases the item "OS X Mountain Lion" has again a dark grey Download button.

I guess this did not work as anticipated and Big Brother has deleted the file already ...
__________________
[i5 iMac; 2.7 GHz; 12 GB RAM; OS X 10.9 iPad Air; iOS 7.1 iPhone 4S; iOS 7.1 Apple TV 2; OS 5.2]
desertman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:55 AM   #11
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
I downloaded it throughout the night onto my iMac that came already with OS X 10.8. This morning I found a window "Install OS X - To set up the installation of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, click Continue." open on my desktop but I did not install anything; this window is still open now.

However, I do not find any downloaded OS X 10.8 file in Applications. And, strangely enough, in App Store under Purchases the item "OS X Mountain Lion" has again a dark grey Download button.

I guess this did not work as anticipated and Big Brother has deleted the file already ...
no you need to quit that window that says continue than it will be in your applications folder

no big brother tricks
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #12
desertman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
no you need to quit that window that says continue than it will be in your applications folder
Did not work. I quit and no installer file showed up, also not as invisible file. There is nothing that big with "Install" in its name on my hard drive.
__________________
[i5 iMac; 2.7 GHz; 12 GB RAM; OS X 10.9 iPad Air; iOS 7.1 iPhone 4S; iOS 7.1 Apple TV 2; OS 5.2]
desertman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:16 PM   #13
desertman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
With the second try it worked. "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" showed up in Applications right after the download was finished and before I did anything else with App Store or the installation window.
__________________
[i5 iMac; 2.7 GHz; 12 GB RAM; OS X 10.9 iPad Air; iOS 7.1 iPhone 4S; iOS 7.1 Apple TV 2; OS 5.2]
desertman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downloads from the App Store warburg2 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 May 23, 2014 08:55 PM
Google Play Downloads Passed App Store Downloads For the First Time in Q2 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 186 Aug 9, 2013 11:15 AM
'Apple Store' iOS App Update Coming Tuesday with Free iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore Deals MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 Jul 31, 2013 03:48 AM
Media Streaming Challenges App Store Downloads for Leading Share of iTunes Store Traffic MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 26 May 18, 2013 04:09 AM
How to resume App Store downloads anfield11 iCloud and Apple Services 2 Jan 28, 2013 03:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC