Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
Ive seen in my school that there is macintosh computers (imacs) with the avg antivirus logo on the dock or on the upper right hand corner i do not know where to find the right one for my imac. Also i need it to scan my hdd of my laptop just to check if its the problem to buy a new ram, motherboard, or hdd.
Thank you so much please any help links anything will be greatly greatly appreciated :D

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
AV software is not needed if you employ the proper security steps on your Mac.
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

As for knowing when to get new RAM, open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used after a day of typical use and if the Page Outs are more than 750 MB you can profit from additional RAM.

As for the HDD, it depends on how much storage or how fast a storage medium should be for you, there is no general software to tell you when to get a new HDD, unless you look at its S.M.A.R.T. status and it shows as failing. That is what a backup is there for.

As for logic board (mother board), you cannot replace those that easily with a any Mac.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.
Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're going to get a lot of members stating that you won't and don't need antivirus software.

The biggest thread to the Mac Platform is not viruses but malware and if you're careful of what you install (because with OSX you are promoted for a password to install) you'll avoid 99% of the potential threats.

Furthermore many of the antivirus software for the mac is actually worse then dealing with a virus, i.e., norton antivirus.

Please do a search on this, as this topic has been covered quite a bit and there's already plenty of information in this forum,.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
You're going to get a lot of members stating that you won't and don't need antivirus software.

The biggest thread to the Mac Platform is not viruses but malware and if you're careful of what you install (because with OSX you are promoted for a password to install) you'll avoid 99% of the potential threats.

Furthermore many of the antivirus software for the mac is actually worse then dealing with a virus, i.e., norton antivirus.

Please do a search on this, as this topic has been covered quite a bit and there's already plenty of information in this forum,.

Thank you for this helpful information! :D

----------

AV software is not needed if you employ the proper security steps on your Mac.
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

As for knowing when to get new RAM, open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used after a day of typical use and if the Page Outs are more than 750 MB you can profit from additional RAM.

As for the HDD, it depends on how much storage or how fast a storage medium should be for you, there is no general software to tell you when to get a new HDD, unless you look at its S.M.A.R.T. status and it shows as failing. That is what a backup is there for.

As for logic board (mother board), you cannot replace those that easily with a any Mac.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.
Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

So why would they install AVG and CCLEANER in the imacs of my school?
=0

Nov 28, 2010
located
=0

Probably because they do not know better and / or those applications work for their routine, since school computers are tougher to maintain in a way, since students are going to abuse them.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Schools very often have to comply with regulations imposed on them. They may be obliged to install AV software on all computers, because some audit says that's a box they have to tick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.