Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trombo22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Has anyone been using the 10.8.3 betas on a retina macbook pro? Have they fixed the graphics problems or general stability compared to 10.8.2?

trombo22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Wifi on enterprise wpa2 is terrible, other macs connect fine and same with almost any pc. A friend has same laptop as mine and his also has same problem. Messages freezes when I try and search and also will randomly have weird graphical issues where all the people are listed will have scrambled pictures overlaid from elsewhere on the screen. Same thing happens when running display with hdmi. Also slow frame rate when scrolling through webpages and pdfs. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce issues, but they randomly keep happening. From what I have read there is a focus on airport and graphics drivers, and people have said the nightly webkits improve safari. Also kind of off topic but should I be using ~5.2 GB ram with just safari,mail, and messages open?

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Wifi on enterprise wpa2 is terrible, other macs connect fine and same with almost any pc. A friend has same laptop as mine and his also has same problem. Messages freezes when I try and search and also will randomly have weird graphical issues where all the people are listed will have scrambled pictures overlaid from elsewhere on the screen. Same thing happens when running display with hdmi. Also slow frame rate when scrolling through webpages and pdfs. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce issues, but they randomly keep happening. From what I have read there is a focus on airport and graphics drivers, and people have said the nightly webkits improve safari. Also kind of off topic but should I be using ~5.2 GB ram with just safari,mail, and messages open?

Not sure why but I've got Chrome and iTunes running and have 3GB of free ram on my 2.8/8/512 rMBP.

Definitely not a good thing though. I should have like 6GB free running 2 light apps.

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
latest beta D74 solved all my wifi disconnecting issues on 5GHz band.
also system feels snappier and looks like it's getting less hotter in temps.
shutting down still takes ages.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
ML has being having serious performance issues, Safari is laggy when scrolling, I installed nightly webkit on both early 2010 iMac and early 2013 15" rMBP and now they both scroll like butter, the UI lag started to show up on Lion, I hope they release an optimised update ASAP, since this has been bugging a lot of customers.

wayner8088

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Interesting. I thought ML lag issues were only limited with Retina MacBook Pros. I've been running 10.8.3 12D74 for 4 days and there seems to be some improved performance, but lag in Safari, iPhoto and other apps still exist. FYI gaming flies at 60+ fps.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Oh man... when!?

When are we going to get this magical .3 update?

I know only Apple knows, but I am just venting some anxiety. Things can get a little choppy on the 15'' sometimes.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Not sure why but I've got Chrome and iTunes running and have 3GB of free ram on my 2.8/8/512 rMBP.

Definitely not a good thing though. I should have like 6GB free running 2 light apps.

Why? What else did you buy the memory for... just to sit idle and unused? :eek:

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I need to run solid works works in windows 7...

Most modern OS will take advantage of additional ram and will pre-cache files that might get used. It makes no sense at all to let that Ram go to waste.

As soon as you start your precious Parallels, that pre-cached ram is purged and used for that instead.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Most modern OS will take advantage of additional ram and will pre-cache files that might get used. It makes no sense at all to let that Ram go to waste.

As soon as you start your precious Parallels, that pre-cached ram is purged and used for that instead.

I use Boot Camp to take advantage of all the ram.

trombo22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
A little off topic but just to respond to the ram comments, I downloaded iStats menus and have been watching the RAM I use parallels with windows 8, and mainly use it for multisim and solidworks. On the mac side I use matlab and the some general ones(mail, messages, maybe pages and safari). I commonly have a reading of near 100% usage(There is some inactive at times but I don't watch it too closely) and it still runs like a champ. Obviously I'm not running intense simulations with all programs at once but for now the ram usage is a non issue to me.

trombo22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
To add onto this, I have found stability and general usage improved with 10.8.3. No major issues yet with 10.8.3

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
i found there to be significant improvements in full screen videos from youtube. Before 10.8.3 i couldn't play youtube full screen as there was severe stutter and lag, now it is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.