Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:21 AM   #1
KTK1990
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Best and cheapest way to attach apple tv to non hdmi tv?

I have an old (5 year old?) Mitsubishi tv, with component and composite cables ( red white yellow and, r/w/y/r/b/g). It doesn't have anything else really, no dvi or VGA, but it does have an svideo port.

I am highly interested in getting an apple tv, but am not sure how to connect it and get it to play with my tv. The audio part I have figured out, I can connect the optical audio to my non hdmi Bose lifestyle surround sound system.

I do also have a time Warner cable box, but I am not entirely sure if it has hdmi or not, it's a scientific atlanta box. ( I think 8300HD model)
KTK1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2
reebzor
macrumors 6502a
 
reebzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to reebzor
I would try something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


I've also seen (for much cheaper) just a cable that has HDMI on one end, and component of the other, but I'm not sure how well that would work. A nice, powered, active converter will work much better I'm sure. It's also worth noting that this supports HDCP, which is NECESSARY for an AppleTV.
__________________
Mac Mini, 24" ACD, Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad
RIP Steve, You're an inspiration to us all
reebzor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:28 AM   #3
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTK1990 View Post
I have an old (5 year old?) Mitsubishi tv, with component and composite cables ( red white yellow and, r/w/y/r/b/g). It doesn't have anything else really, no dvi or VGA, but it does have an svideo port.

I am highly interested in getting an apple tv, but am not sure how to connect it and get it to play with my tv. The audio part I have figured out, I can connect the optical audio to my non hdmi Bose lifestyle surround sound system.

I do also have a time Warner cable box, but I am not entirely sure if it has hdmi or not, it's a scientific atlanta box. ( I think 8300HD model)
You need a converter. Either google it, or go to your local audio/video store.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
For what it's worth use the money you'd spend on a converter and put it towards a new HDTV.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
potatis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
or buy an AppleTV G1, it connects to component, and can be hacked for AirPlay.
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
KTK1990
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Thanks everyone. I might look into the gen 1 apple tv, does the airplay work well for iPad and Mac mirroring?
KTK1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Buy a new tv

Once u go HD you never go back
Che Castro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8
KTK1990
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Might be pretty hard. Can't find a good 60+ inch HDTV for about $100 . Don't have the cash to buy an entirely new tv. But I can find up some for a cheap apple tv
KTK1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
warvanov
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Go with the new ATV and converter box. No sense investing in old ATV1 technology.
__________________
13" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro // 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini // iPhone 5
warvanov is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:19 PM   #10
maturola
macrumors 68040
 
maturola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by warvanov View Post
Go with the new ATV and converter box. No sense investing in old ATV1 technology.
+1 to this, AppleTV3 ($99) + Converter box ($30) =
__________________
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
13'' Unibody MacBook / Made by , Fix by the Dev Team
LockedUSB Adapter - USB Charger Firewall and Power Optimizer
maturola is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #11
doktordoris
macrumors 6502a
 
doktordoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
For what it's worth use the money you'd spend on a converter and put it towards a new HDTV.
WHat he said.
__________________
2011 27" 3.4, i7,2g GFX,16g iMac. 2011 11" MBA. ATV2. pad1. white pod touch, and 2 nanos (one for music and one as a wrist watch)
doktordoris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
KTK1990
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Are there any good converters for pretty cheap? Like under $50.

I checked amazon and saw this, but am not sure if it will work or not. http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-HDMI-.../dp/B005J2PTNW
KTK1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:20 PM   #13
brudog68
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TN USA
Pardon the interruption, but what if you have an hd tv, just no HDMI input...which method is best? HDMI to dvi, rgb, or svideo?
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #14
potatis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTK1990 View Post
Are there any good converters for pretty cheap? Like under $50.

I checked amazon and saw this, but am not sure if it will work or not. http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-HDMI-.../dp/B005J2PTNW
That is a fake cable, you will need a box with a power supply. Like this one but for HDMI input http://www.avtoolbox.com/vs-223.shtml
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:08 PM   #15
upbraid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudog68 View Post
Pardon the interruption, but what if you have an hd tv, just no HDMI input...which method is best? HDMI to dvi, rgb, or svideo?
you will most likely need a converter. hdmi carries both the video and audio signal and most computers cannot transmit audio via DVI (some ATI gpu's can)
upbraid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #16
fdw777
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Mitsubishi 65813 and 3rd generation ATV (3/7/12)

I have a Mitsubishi 65813 CRT TV that only does 1081i, 480P, 480i no 1080P.
The Mitsubishi TV has DVI, and Component video inputs (and other lower resolution inputs).

Connecting my AppleTV 3rd generation (March 7, 2012):

1. ATV (HDMI) to Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI)
2. Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI) to Mits 65813 (DVI)

I know this works because I bought a ATV 2nd generation about 3 weeks ago (returned it after learning about the ATV refresh) and it worked. Only problem was some of the screen was cut off on the top (very minor).

Any comments?
fdw777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:44 PM   #17
thomasfxlt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
DVI to RGB cable... connect to rgb input of Mits.(it will ignore the audio signal) Have to find the right video resolution setting for the connection.

Monoprice digital to analogue rca converter. Works great and cheap.

I've got about a 5 year old Fujutsu 1080 monitor and use this configuration with aTV 2. I upgraded software this afternoon and all is well. I had to change the audio setting to lock in at 16bit vs auto though.
thomasfxlt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:17 PM   #18
brudog68
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TN USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by upbraid View Post
you will most likely need a converter. hdmi carries both the video and audio signal and most computers cannot transmit audio via DVI (some ATI gpu's can)
I was planing to use an existing optical audio cable for audio from atv to home theatre tuner...would I still need a converter to run HDMI to dvi for video only?

Thanks!
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:06 AM   #19
KTK1990
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatis View Post
That is a fake cable, you will need a box with a power supply. Like this one but for HDMI input http://www.avtoolbox.com/vs-223.shtml
Thanks for telling me. What about this? http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...1222602&sr=1-1
KTK1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:29 AM   #20
potatis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTK1990 View Post
Thanks for telling me. What about this? http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...1222602&sr=1-1
Should work, but check out the hdmi to component converter at the link, it's cheaper and should give better image.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-compo...ref=pd_sim_e_1

Last edited by potatis; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 02:47 PM   #21
KTK1990
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatis View Post
Should work, but check out the hdmi to component converter at the link, it's cheaper and should give better image.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-compo...ref=pd_sim_e_1
Awesome, thanks I think I will get that.

One last question, do you know if that will also do audio through the component cables?
KTK1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:07 PM   #22
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post

I've also seen (for much cheaper) just a cable that has HDMI on one end, and component of the other, but I'm not sure how well that would work. A nice, powered, active converter will work much better I'm sure. It's also worth noting that this supports HDCP, which is NECESSARY for an AppleTV.
Seeing HDMI is digital and component is analog.. this will not work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
You need a converter. Either google it, or go to your local audio/video store.
^^^what he said

Last edited by Primejimbo; Mar 8, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #23
potatis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTK1990 View Post
Awesome, thanks I think I will get that.

One last question, do you know if that will also do audio through the component cables?

Yes, there are seperate red/white RCA outputs on the component side, so you get analogue audio out. If you want digital you could get it directly from the AppleTV's optical connector.
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:37 AM   #24
packerman1975
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdw777 View Post
I have a Mitsubishi 65813 CRT TV that only does 1081i, 480P, 480i no 1080P.
The Mitsubishi TV has DVI, and Component video inputs (and other lower resolution inputs).

Connecting my AppleTV 3rd generation (March 7, 2012):

1. ATV (HDMI) to Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI)
2. Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI) to Mits 65813 (DVI)

I know this works because I bought a ATV 2nd generation about 3 weeks ago (returned it after learning about the ATV refresh) and it worked. Only problem was some of the screen was cut off on the top (very minor).

Any comments?

How did you get the optical audio to work through the Denon? Did you have to assign the optical audio to match the HDMI to DVI out to the TV?
packerman1975 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XServe 2006: Supported Graphics Cards With HDMI or DVI with audio to hdmi iphone2g&3gfan iMac 3 May 30, 2014 04:42 PM
Cheapest Apple Iphone 5 battery replacement? cuzo iPhone Accessories 0 Oct 30, 2013 07:30 PM
UK - Cheapest Place to purchase Apple Care 15" rMBP bbasra MacBook Pro 12 Jun 20, 2013 05:14 AM
Cheapest place to get OFFICIAL (no knockoffs) Apple 4S bumpers? Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone Accessories 2 Jul 16, 2012 04:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC