Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I currently have a regular (not high speed) cable going from my Apple TV to my AV receiver. Would I get full 1080p quality if I replace the current cable with a high speed one? My TV is a full 1080p tv and I do use a high speed hdmi going from my AV recover to my tv just didn't know if I also need a high speed hdmi going from Apple TV to av receiver.

The new ability to watch HBOGO movies just doesn't look as good a quality as I am used to on HBO from my Directv satellite box which is also connected to my AV receiver but that connection has a high speed hdmi cable.

I just don't want to go to the expense and trouble to replace my plain hdmi from Apple TV to av receiver if it is not going to make a difference.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The new ability to watch HBOGO movies just doesn't look as good a quality as I am used to on HBO from my Directv satellite box which is also connected to my AV receiver but that connection has a high speed hdmi cable.

and it won't, hbogo is more compressed than what you get from your dish.
new cable won't help.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I think regular HDMI can handle 1080p just fine, it's 3D that would require high speed and even then, many cables not labeled as high speed work just fine.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Hdmi

I would buy one frm MonoPrice...actually two. All of these cables are made in China and they are not built to last. Cable failure is the number one problem
in any home theater set up.
The image you get from your cable provider or sat provider will be better than you are going to get from any hand held device.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
First off, you won't get 1080p if you don't have an ATV3.

As for the cables, I have at least 2, maybe 3 (only 2 TVs) of the Monoprice ones and have had no issues in the 5 years I've had them. Generally, the cables don't get moved often, making for less risk of breakage. One of the TVs gets rotated in place at least once a day but it's only a 90* turn and there's enough slack that the cable doesn't pull.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Here is the ONLY cables that are capable of correctly passing HBOGO at a reasonable price. Anything more expensive is a waste of money. I use these for all my HDMI connections.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thank you all. I will jump right out there and order one of those ultra expensive hdmi cables, that will be able to solve my problem for sure. Course i wouldnt be able to pay my electricty bill then ��.

And of course I have an ATV 3. And after more research I think my Internet speed is the issue, I pay for 8 Mbps which is as much as my ISP offers in my rural area but I don't think that is a sustainable speed.

Bottom line tho is, I am very happy Apple added HBOGO. I just installed a new Bluray player with Internet capabilities and it goes in and out of black screen off, on for 15 minutes before it settles down and stays on to allow watching content (hdmi issue I think) and the Apple TV ”just works".

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Here is the ONLY cables that are capable of correctly passing HBOGO at a reasonable price. Anything more expensive is a waste of money. I use these for all my HDMI connections.

Haha classic. I remember when those came out

----------

Thank you all. I will jump right out there and order one of those ultra expensive hdmi cables, that will be able to solve my problem for sure. Course i wouldnt be able to pay my electricty bill then ��.

And of course I have an ATV 3. And after more research I think my Internet speed is the issue, I pay for 8 Mbps which is as much as my ISP offers in my rural area but I don't think that is a sustainable speed.

Bottom line tho is, I am very happy Apple added HBOGO. I just installed a new Bluray player with Internet capabilities and it goes in and out of black screen off, on for 15 minutes before it settles down and stays on to allow watching content (hdmi issue I think) and the Apple TV ”just works".

While I don't know of your specific artifacts odds are its the compression from hbo's files. Different hdmi cables are not going to change your picture in any fashion.

Your inet could do it too as it throttles.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
oh actually one more possibility. Go to your apple tv settings and you have playback options: 1080P, 720P, SD.

Try 720P... some TVs like one format over another and can introduce minor artifacts.

honestly not an apple tv guru, these may not impact the atv->tv interface... may be just internet stream selection.

-d

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Would I get full 1080p quality if I replace the current cable with a high speed one?
No. You don't need "high speed" cables for 1080p. Your connectivity is more likely to be the culprit. Is your ATV on WiFi?

My TV is a full 1080p tv and I do use a high speed hdmi going from my AV recover to my tv just didn't know if I also need a high speed hdmi going from Apple TV to av receiver.
I just don't want to go to the expense and trouble to replace my plain hdmi from Apple TV to av receiver if it is not going to make a difference.
You could easily confirm this yourself without buying anything. Swap the cables you already have and test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.