Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
What is the border issue?

I'll also second this question:
Is there a photo of the slate 5 next to a space grey 5s anywhere?

The black border around the screen feels out of place unless the device is all black and even then it would look better if the casing went right to the screen.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Yeah well yeah.......i would really hate it if they will not offer slate iPads in the future, don't like white, and spacegrey is not my cup of tea either, so now i can't buy an iPhone 5S, or a new iPod, and probably not a new next gen iPad :S Poor me :S

Seriously, would it really be that hard for Apple to offer us that doesn't throw our devices in the gravel on a daily basis, a slate version...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The black border around the screen feels out of place unless the device is all black and even then it would look better if the casing went right to the screen.

I have the (PRODUCT)RED one with a white face; I like the way the narrow bit of the red casing frames the white border around the display. To me it's a natural design like you'd find in a framed and matted photo. The matte sets a photo off better than having the photo just stop at the frame edge. I had wondered if I'd find it distracting while watching a video but that hasn't been an issue.

canejoda

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Slate was awful!

The problem with the black / slate is that it was a later of paint on top of silver that easily scratched off. I had my phone in a case from the moment it arrived and still got tiny scratches that revealed the silver cover underneath! It drove me insane, so I switched to the white one instead. Hopefully they have fixed this problem with the space grey color so I can switch back to a black face phone

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Not to mention that the slate was a fingerprint magnet and looked awful at store displays, especially on the iPad mini. It also scuffed rather easily as well. The "space gray" should look and hold up much better.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I have the (PRODUCT)RED one with a white face; I like the way the narrow bit of the red casing frames the white border around the display. To me it's a natural design like you'd find in a framed and matted photo. The matte sets a photo off better than having the photo just stop at the frame edge. I had wondered if I'd find it distracting while watching a video but that hasn't been an issue.

Note - This is not an insult to those who like Apple's current designs

We (people) can have such different takes on design. Aside from hating white electronics it's like this out of place raised white panel on the front of a red iPod that is trying to have rounded sides. It feels completely out of place and horrible design. I still think the iPod Nano fifth generation had the best look even with the click wheel. I have even thought that the look above the click wheel would have looked fine for the nano, no ugly border, simple sleek design. Seriously not sure what happen's to Apples product design on a few devices.

Also not sure why they can't match them up to be all one color, the new 5c would look much better if the front plate matched the back. Even the 5s as that two tone issue.

I saw a video where someone questioned the design of the iPhone 5s case (black and brown look fine) while they liked the 5c case that has to be one of the ugliest cases I have seen that was designed to look good. Yep, we all can have extremely differently thoughts on what good design is.

I do wonder why Apple is not using the brighter colors like they did with iPod nano etc... some of those where really good if you wanted color, green was dark, red was red etc..

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm with you on the colors of the nanos, the anodized aluminum 2nd gen nanos were my favorites but I'd like even more vibrant colors like some of the shuffles (the brighter ones) or the later nano with the video... the curved one... which I didn't like EXCEPT for the colors. :) so yeah we are different on design preferences but the same on some ideas for color. I like black or white faces on smart devices and usually switch up on upgrades.

What did you think of the tie clasp shuffles?!

Oh well, difference is what makes the world go 'round, and also what stuffs the coffers of businesses all over the planet. As long as someone buys 5S and someone else buys 5C while we mull over what the current nano should have looked like, Apple will keep on keepin' on and we'll eventually find out what they've cooked up for the iPhone 6.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The problem with the black / slate is that it was a later of paint on top of silver that easily scratched off. I had my phone in a case from the moment it arrived and still got tiny scratches that revealed the silver cover underneath! It drove me insane, so I switched to the white one instead. Hopefully they have fixed this problem with the space grey color so I can switch back to a black face phone

"Fixed" because its not painted anymore as you said - all the iPhone 5S colours as solid metals.

With a bit of luck they'll make macbooks in this space grey too!

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
"Fixed" because its not painted anymore as you said - all the iPhone 5S colours as solid metals.

With a bit of luck they'll make macbooks in this space grey too!
While the anodized finish on the new iPhone 5S might be more durable than a painted one, it doesn't go all the way through the metal. In other words, anodization is a surfact treatment; you can still damage it and show the bare metal underneath. Just ask anyone who owns a scuffed-up MacBook Pro.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Maybe jabbing at Samesung?

It is, subjectively of course, a nice color. They used to call that Gun-Metal gray; suppose 'Space Gray' is a little 'friendlier' lol

Samesung seems to have taken ownership of "galaxy"... so maybe a little poke at them with the "space" naming :)

Think they call their products galaxy because it takes a long time for updates to software to rollout... yes, I know, blame the carriers. But the customisation also seems to hold things up for a LONG, LONG, LONG time. From a Galaxy Far Far Away. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.