Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM   #776
chrfr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Legno View Post
10.8. Much of the motivation for this is that I have been holding out on 10.6.8 on my machine at work so that I can run Eudora. But our IT folks are getting restive; insisting I up(?)grade to 10.8 for security reasons.
Keep in mind that while running a virtualized version of 10.6.8 may help to isolate some of the vulnerabilities from your computer, it really does very little, if anything, to improve network security and consequently, your employer's IT people should rightly be concerned about even a virtualized instance of 10.6.8 on their network.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #777
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Legno View Post
Hello again Michael, I certainly do not wish to hijack this thread, but I rather object to being characterized as a narrow-minded troll, if that is what you meant by your comment. I had thought you wanted to know why various folks wanted to continue to run 10.6, and I presented my reason, namely to run Eudora.

As noted before, you misunderstood what I was saying

You seem to be tolerant, yea supportive, of other folks who wish to run power pc software; why do you suggest I "face the fact that you need to move to a different email client", when I am so fond of Eudora, for the reasons that I briefly elaborated?

Indeed, that is what this thread is all about: it allows the user of PowerPC software a longer timetable for them to decide if and when it is time to move to Intel software. Originally, in 2011 with the release of Lion, it was thought that there was no alternative to the loss of Rosetta in Lion.

I would be more than happy to move to a different email client if I could find one that had all the great features of Eudora. But isn't that for me to decide, especially if I can (with the help of yourself and others on this thread) get Eudora working in a 10.6 window in a parallels wrapper on a 10.8 machine?

Yes, it is absolutely your decision and again that is what this thread is all about: giving you an alternative to a Rosetta-less environment of Lion, Mt. Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.

I just note that the day will come where even this solution can no longer be sustained on a modern Mac, so that you should consider a future where you will not longer be able to run Eudora and plan for that future.

As noted by the last poster, there are serious internet security issues posed by your use of Eudora, especially on an enterprise machine. Most of the people on this thread do NOT use SLS for internet purposes: Freehand MX, Appleworks databases and some graphics work and students who must read educational PowerPC CD-ROMs on their modern day MacBooks.

These users have the ability to concurrently use Yosemite, Mavericks, Mt. Lion or Lion to access the internet for those needs and obtain the full security available on those environments.

I also inquired whether you might elaborate as to what were the differences between the server that one made using terminal on the 10.6 system disk versus the server disk from apple. Seemed like a fair question for this thread.

The Server version of Snow Leopard includes "server" functions that are not needed for the running of Rosetta and PowerPC software. I advise most people to remove those "server" icons from the Dock, so as to not be confused by them. The Terminal version is merely the client version of Snow Leopard dressed in "server" clothing and hence does not have these additional functions.

In any event, thank you again for maintaining this thread; I found it very helpful, and I would hope to come back to it if I have trouble getting 10.6 to work once I have obtained the server disk from apple, and if I run into problems, would hope that I might make further inquiries here. And if you wish, report on my experience. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

all the best

Colonel Legno (Col Legno)
I look forward to your feedback about your experiences with SLS once it arrives!
MichaelLAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Tags
lion, parallels 7, powerpc apps, rosetta, snow leopard