Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
harleymhs
macrumors 6502

16 or 32 Retina Enough Space for My Needs?

Hey Guys.. I picked up a 16 GB Cellular Ipad 4 Last week, I know this topic has been posted before but I cant seem to find them .. I installed 15-20 apps, about 700 photos, and a only a handful of playlists of songs.. I have 8.4 GB left.. Im not sure if 8 GB is enough for future downloads and photos.. My wife has a Ipad 2 with 16 and she is fine with hers..We do not use these ipads for computers.. we just use them for surfing, some basic games and photos to stream to apple tv.. I have until Jan 14 to swap it out for the 32GB but she thinks its overkill and a waste of 100 $ for storage I will probably never use.. I just dont to be choked for space in the future.( stupid question : is the 32 a bit heavier than the 16 ) I guess like everyone else does I can delete photos and some OLD apps that arent being used and make space for new ones.. I do know resale will be better with the 32 but Im also paying another 100 for the 32 now so that will be lost if I decide to sell this one later anyway.. so thats not a big deal.. Any input would be helpful.. Thanks!!
harleymhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Rodster
macrumors 68020

If you don't plan on buying music or buying games that require lots of space then yeah 32 could be an overkill. Most HD games require more space because of the higher resolution. If you're not into playing a lot of games then again 32 could be a waste.

But it all depends on your finances. If you can afford the $100 then it's better to be safe than sorry. I always buy 32GB iPads and android tablets whether I need it or not. The only time I bought a 16GB tablet was for a 8.9 Kindle Fire HD because it's perfect for reading books and that's all I use it for.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:49 AM   #3
maflynn

My 16gb can easily be filled up with music or movies, so I'd say depending on your needs, i.e., large itunes library you may want the 32gb.

For me I have the 16gb iPad but I don't load my music onto it - I have pandora and my iPhone stores all my music.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4
harleymhs
macrumors 6502

I wont be using it to store Lots of music I have an iphone and Ipods for that, I just loaded a handful of songs to use with the SLIDESHOW feature. I have about 600 photos and plan to add more photos. As far as the games go does anyone have an idea what these Hi Res games use as far as GB .. I would plan on getting a few of those games in the future and I have 8.4 GB left now.. So if those Hi Res Games take like 1-2 GB per game it may be worth to go to the 32 GB.. Does the 32 GB weigh more than the 16 GB.. I would probably say NO ... Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Rodster
macrumors 68020

The 16 and 32 are identical sans the memory capacity. It depends on what games you like to play they range anywhere from 25MB to anywhere to 2GB. Asphalt 7 is close to 2GB. Infinity Blade and IB2 are large games as well.

The app store will give you a rough idea except sometimes devs for what ever reason won't show you the actual size.

Perfect example is smash cops. The game is listed as a 202MB game but takes up close to 600MB on my iPad 2.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
harleymhs
macrumors 6502

Thanks Rodster... I hear what you are saying and for another 100 $ to double the Size I think its worth it.. If I need it I have it if I dont I dont.. Plus now I will be able to load tons of photos and not have to pick and choose what I add and download.. Thanks for your help! Off to the Apple Store at 11 AM.. to swap it out..
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Signor S.
macrumors member

Go with the 32GB. You might not need the storage now, but why deal with the hassle of managing all your media on your iPad when you can have it all with you for only $100 more? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Especially if you want this iPad to last you for a long time (2+ years).
Signor S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
harleymhs
macrumors 6502

Done deal.. Went to the Apple Store this AM swapped it out for the 32 GB and loaded everything on it and STILL HAVE loads of room to expand! The apple guy said the same thing, its like having 2 ipads for 100 more.. I have tons of space now and wont have to remove anything I can just keep adding! ALL of you guys were right! NO REGRETS NOW!! Thanks!!!!

----------

Now that I have tons of free space on my new 32 GB Ipad, whats some GOOD games that have GREAT graphics for the retina and take up alot of space! LOL
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Rodster
macrumors 68020

If you want good graphics check out Smash Cops and of course Infinity Blade I & II. Both Infinity Blade games recently were 50% off, not sure if the deal is still on.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:14 PM   #10
shoppy
macrumors 6502a

My eldest has a 16gb ipad and it is full almost, so I have to juggle things a bit by being selective on what I install.
shoppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:27 PM   #11
johntom2000
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to johntom2000
I am glad I found this thread. I research and read alot and play games. I have a 32 GB ipod for my music which can you transfer your games from your ipod to your ipad? I been really thinking getting a 32 GB IPad. 64GB is a big time overkill and waste of money If you not going to install alot of apps, movies, and games on it.
johntom2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:22 PM   #12
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

I had a 16gb 1st gen and was running out of space. I went with a 32gb when I upgraded to the 4th gen and it's working out much better. I don't play/have a lot of games on my iPad but keep a lot of videos and music on there when I travel.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:29 AM   #13
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Seems like 32gb is the sweet spot for many a user. Most won't come anywhere near to maximizing 64gb of storage, and 16gb might be cutting it too close for some who might occasionally need that extra bit of storage for say, recording footage.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:24 AM   #14
harleymhs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
Seems like 32gb is the sweet spot for many a user. Most won't come anywhere near to maximizing 64gb of storage, and 16gb might be cutting it too close for some who might occasionally need that extra bit of storage for say, recording footage.
U are correct.. I returned the 16 and swapped it out for the 32 and still have tons of space.. 32 is the sweet spot and HAPPY I swapped it for the 100 $ well worth it .. Picked up apple care on it as well.. So Im good to go now! Thanks for everyones help! You all helped me decide.. !!!!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Investor27
macrumors member

Our first Apple product was the 16 GB mini I purchased during launch for my wife. She doesn't have any music or movies on it, only 15-20 free games from iTune. I was checking to see how much storage space was left today, and there was only 5 GB left. As a PC user all my life, I always like to keep at least 10 GB free on the hard drive so that everything will run smoothly, so 5 GB left had me worried.

I would definitely go with a 32 GB next time.
Investor27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor27 View Post
As a PC user all my life, I always like to keep at least 10 GB free on the hard drive so that everything will run smoothly, so 5 GB left had me worried.
Irrelevant on an iDevice.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad