Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mgf95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
My iPhone is the new lifeproof nuud case so I thought it'd be ok to leave by the pool because the case is water proof. But apparently the case is very good at being water proof because when I took the case off after the fact there was a fair amount of water inside the case. I guess some of the water got into the phone because the back camera lens in all foggy. But the interesting part is that the phone is fully functional. So I have couple of questions

1- do you think that the water that got into the phone cause damage later? I plan on putting it in rice later to try and draw out water.

2- I know there was a rumor going around when the phone first came out that apple treated some of them with some water repellent spray. Could that be a possibility here?

3- where are the water damaged sensors? I looked in the headphone jack, the charging port and the SIM card slot and I didn't see anything that was red to indicate water damage.

4- is it normal to have brown stuff in the lighting port and the headphone jack? Because when I was looking in there, there was a lot of brown stuff, but it didn't seem to have any impact the use of the device

Thanks for your help

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
1- do you think that the water that got into the phone cause damage later? I plan on putting it in rice later to try and draw out water.

If there's still water in there, absolutely. wires and connectors can corrode, connections can short out. It's bad news to keep things moist.

2- I know there was a rumor going around when the phone first came out that apple treated some of them with some water repellent spray. Could that be a possibility here?

Unlikely.

3- where are the water damaged sensors? I looked in the headphone jack, the charging port and the SIM card slot and I didn't see anything that was red to indicate water damage.

Pretty sure all the water damage sensors are internal now, but there should also be one in the SIM port somewhere.

4- is it normal to have brown stuff in the lighting port and the headphone jack?

Definitely not.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
"Brown stuff"?!? Did u really even have to ask if its normal? Lol.

Was the case installed properly? And if it was just "sitting poolside" and got splashed a few times, I find it hard to believe that water got inside..even if the case wasn't clamped correctly.

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Was the phone out in the sun? Could be condensation from being a watertight case.....just a thought? Depends on the level of water found though.

Anthony

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
How can that case keep any water out considering that the front and back are wide open?? Water can go straight in through the openings. :eek:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like Lifeproof sent you a defective case. You may want to contact them and let them know that their product failed, and that they should be liable for your iPhone repair costs.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Sounds like Lifeproof sent you a defective case. You may want to contact them and let them know that their product failed, and that they should be liable for your iPhone repair costs.

@OP yeah, I agree with rit, if you applied the case as per instructions and they guaranteed that it's waterproof, but it failed, then they should be liable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.