Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #51
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

I'm most excited by the switch to the lightning connector (nerdy, I know) and shaving the weight down. If they can get the iPad 5 down to around a pound, I'm getting one for sure. That would be simply amazing.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:18 AM   #52
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
I'm most excited by the switch to the lightning connector (nerdy, I know) and shaving the weight down. If they can get the iPad 5 down to around a pound, I'm getting one for sure. That would be simply amazing.
Uhm 4th gen already has the new connector...
frosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 08:27 AM   #53
Brittany246
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosse View Post
Uhm 4th gen already has the new connector...
He/she probably has a 3rd gen iPad...
Brittany246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:55 AM   #54
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Not really. I just sold my iPad 3 and will pick up the iPad 4 today. iPad 5 won't do anything different than the 4. It may have the mini form factor, but that's nothing to get in a tizzy about. Especially for my use of the iPad, it's a wonder why even sold the iPad 3 to begin with.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:11 PM   #55
addictzz
macrumors 6502

I have iPad 2 and perfectly content with it except for weight.

Hoping that iPad 5 could have iPad mini form factor and thus reduced weight and slimmer form factor (although the current one is fine for me).
addictzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:14 AM   #56
rcp27
macrumors regular

I have a 2, and apart from the fact that the storage is a bit small (I have the 32, would like more), it still fills the gap perfectly. Given it has essentially the same specs as the mini, I expect it will still be supported for software for some time yet. I had thought about upgrading to a 4 to get the better screen, but by the time my "fun" budget had enough cash in it, WWDC was just round the corner, so I figure I'll wait and see if anything is announced there. I'm sort of thinking I've lasted this long with the old one, waiting a little longer for the 5th gen to be announced won't kill me, and I will be annoyed if I cave in a get a 4th gen only to have a 5th gen announced a few weeks later.
rcp27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:28 AM   #57
kazmac
macrumors 68000

the big test will be in store

for me...

I love the weight of the mini, but it is not great for any significant reading.

If the iPad 5 has the same battery life and is a good deal lighter, I'll try at the store. if it's comfortable, I might consider swapping over next year. I am kind of tired of the Goldilocks syndrome with these, but I'll see when this is released.

Excited, not really.

Waiting on what would work for me - yes.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #58
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Not really. I just sold my iPad 3 and will pick up the iPad 4 today. iPad 5 won't do anything different than the 4. It may have the mini form factor, but that's nothing to get in a tizzy about. Especially for my use of the iPad, it's a wonder why even sold the iPad 3 to begin with.
I have a 3 and was tempted by the 4 but I'm holding out for the 5. I found the iPad 4 significantly quicker at rendering PDF files. I expect the 5 to be lighter, charge more quickly, be much quicker, have a more precise digitizer, better sound and maybe a surprise or two. No individual feature would be worth the upgrade but the overall package will be very nice.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:24 PM   #59
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
And you can say the iPad 2 and 3 do exactly the same things. The real question for the next iPad model is what the changes to the electronics might be. And I'm sorry, but my crystal ball has fogged over and won't share that information with me.

In all seriousness the changes to the next iPad could be minor or they could be major and we won't have any idea which until the rumors solidify and even then we won't know until Apple makes an announcement.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:41 PM   #60
simply stunning
macrumors regular

I'm excited to see how much smaller (and lighter) it is. I love the screen size of the 4 as compared to the mini. Assuming they shave it down in size I will be trying to preorder one.
simply stunning is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 03:14 PM   #61
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
And you can say the iPad 2 and 3 do exactly the same things. The real question for the next iPad model is what the changes to the electronics might be. And I'm sorry, but my crystal ball has fogged over and won't share that information with me.

In all seriousness the changes to the next iPad could be minor or they could be major and we won't have any idea which until the rumors solidify and even then we won't know until Apple makes an announcement.
I don't think Facebook, Tweetbot, Chrome, Zite and Evernote apps needs much horsepower.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #62
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Yes, the form factor change will be enough to get me to purchase.
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #63
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

only reason im excited is the weight, if its lighter im much in need of it, because i travel every where since i have to develop and do demos with all my tech crap.

cant wait till the slimmer 13' rMBP comes out (hopefully i can afford it)

with all the crap i have to carry, portable wifi/router, aLOT of wires, external hard drives, flash drives, iPad, MBP, iPhone 5, My Personal iPhone, An Android device (changes),external batteries/sleeves, portable scanners, folder full of papers, chargers for EVERYTHING, mouses, mouse pad,

itll really help with the weight, lightweight is the key and the only thing i really look forward too, because its relevant,

processors will always get slower, pixels will always get higher
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:12 PM   #64
cynics
macrumors 604

I'll probably replace my 3 with a 5 but I feel a bit ripped off from getting the 3 and how quickly the 4 came out. I feel it was half assed in a sense.

Sure the screen is great but some games dumb down the graphics and effects to play on the 3 vs having all those effects on the 2. What's the point of a pretty screen when you take away stuff because the processor can't handle it. Thankfully I'm not that huge of a gamer anyway but I technically have an obsolete iPad. Since they no longer sell the 3 they are not really obligated to support it, whereas they sell the less expensive mini and iPad 2 still so you know that will still be supported.

I'm making it sound terrible but that's not the case. I find the iPad to still be the best tablet on the market and that's the main reason I would get the 5.

Overall not "excited" but am looking forward too it.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:14 PM   #65
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Yup.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:28 PM   #66
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

besides the processor, disk space, ram, and better camera,

this is basically it, i dont see GREAT innovation or GREAT ingenuity, until the next big thing comes out like a transparent holographic tablet or some crap like that. i mean besides OS DEVELOPMENT

i dont know what the fuss that an average consumer is raving about, people that rave about the Galaxy S4 saying its a MUCH better phone than the iPhone 5 are pretty moronic.

yes the S4 is a better hardware, but really that eye reading crap? it doesnt work that well, and their OS is still the crappy android OS. i have the S4 for development, yeah some features/apps are enhanced, but not enough for more to switch to that crappy android OS.

its the same thing with iphones, better pixels, better camera, lighter weight, a bit larger screen.

people are damn sheep. and 75% of them don't even know what an Android OS or iOS is, i was with a customer the other day, a know it all older lady saying "GALAXY ISNT ANDROID" pretty rudely and abruptly, until she basically looked like a fool

people are just damn fools, funny how an average smartphone user that has it for personal use feel like experts, better than the developers/techies themselves.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 03:12 PM   #67
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Nope, since I just got an iPad 4 last night. I'm perfectly happy with my iPad 4 but will upgrade to the iPad 5 at some point, if it's significantly better in every way.

The iPad 4 is plenty fast for me, so I'm wondering if the iPad 5 will be an iPad 4S or truly an evolved tablet.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad