Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I went on a Windows forum to ask this, but nobody had any clue what I was talking about. What I'm asking is does Windows have an option like Macs do to hit "t" when booting to use it as an external drive to get your data off the computer if the OS is buggy?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Windows wouldn't be the key factor here. It's a firmware level feature. It's a major reason why Apple went with EFI on Intel.

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Nope but good alternative

Here is what you get.
Go to newegg and get the IDE hard drive adapter to USB. This little bugger allows me to hook up Ide , sata and laptop ide to a USB Adapter.
I use it to move items super fast between my mac or my wives machine.
Its about 15.00

I dont think windows has a target mode type feature

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I have one of these, but it's a notebook, and I've been trying for the past hour to figure out how to get the damn thing open. Its a PCG-TR2A. The only info i've found is on a form that you need to pay for. I realy cant figure out how to get the top casing off.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Yes... that is what it seems to be.. Booting up to windows is painfully slow, and the thing has 1024 viruses on it, so how else can I get the user's data off of the machine?

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
windows sucks so much. i cant boot it up and i cant even get data off of this persons computer. Why does the world choose to use windows? It is such a crappy piece of ****.

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
Yes... that is what it seems to be.. Booting up to windows is painfully slow, and the thing has 1024 viruses on it, so how else can I get the user's data off of the machine?

You could boot up using a Knoppix boot CD and then copy the contents of the hard drive onto a USB external drive. The bootup process will be pretty slow, but it'll go faster than a virus/spyware-laden Windows installation.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Im using "safe-mode" right now to begin a file transfer... It took it an hour to start, but it seems to be making progress now. I also had to format my external hard drive for windows... but leopard has some bug where it can't seem to format MS-DOS drives.

Once I get this stuff transferred, how do I know that when I plug it into the formatted computer, it won't transfer a ton of viruses to the "new" computer? Should I risk plugging it into my mac?

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
Im using "safe-mode" right now to begin a file transfer... It took it an hour to start, but it seems to be making progress now. I also had to format my external hard drive for windows... but leopard has some bug where it can't seem to format MS-DOS drives.

Once I get this stuff transferred, how do I know that when I plug it into the formatted computer, it won't transfer a ton of viruses to the "new" computer? Should I risk plugging it into my mac?

I don't know if you need the answer 5 years later... The Mac will be safe, but I wouldn't connect it to a Windows machine. How exactly did you do the file transfer in safe mode? I was looking for the equivalent of Target Disk Mode on a Dell and found this thread.

As another guy said, it's not about Windows. It's firmware. However, it's MS's stupid idea that Windows doesn't use EFI. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.