Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Hold down home and power buttons, see if your iPod force quits. Try to turn back on and see what happens then. If it still doesn't work, schedule an appointment with a Mac Genius at a Apple Store near you to have the ipod replaced.

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New York
Hold down home and power buttons, see if your iPod force quits. Try to turn back on and see what happens then. If it still doesn't work, schedule an appointment with a Mac Genius at a Apple Store near you to have the ipod replaced.

my home button doesnt work it is broken

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Take it to the store. How do you treat your iPod touch? I've had two iPhones and they're fine.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
UGH! The same thing happened to me today. I have noticed recently that my iPod home button has to be pressed harder for it to work. Now it has just completely stopped working.

What if mine is not covered under warranty? (1st Gen iPod Touch) Will Apple still do anything maybe at a reasonable price? I have always treated this thing like a baby so I dont see how it just stops working (never dropped it, always kept it in a case so it doesnt have a scratch)

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
UGH! The same thing happened to me today. I have noticed recently that my iPod home button has to be pressed harder for it to work. Now it has just completely stopped working.

What if mine is not covered under warranty? (1st Gen iPod Touch) Will Apple still do anything maybe at a reasonable price? I have always treated this thing like a baby so I dont see how it just stops working (never dropped it, always kept it in a case so it doesnt have a scratch)

Well actually about a year ago I had a broken iPod nano and on their website they charged I think $99+tax to fix any iPod or problem.
They send you a prepaid box that you put the iPod in and send it to them and they either fix it or replace it for you.

darty10

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
my iphones home button wont work . :( is it possible to change the settings so you dont have to use the home button?

Kitarii

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Surrey, UK
If you are willing to jailbreak your ipod then I have a solution, which works even if your button is already broken. I wrote a guide about it this morning because I have had this problem for months and don't want people to suffer as I have. :p

*click!*

Last edited:

ApplePicks

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie
This worked with my 1st gen iPod Touch with a broken home button and not yet jailbroken... I did a lot leg work to find something that worked. Just follow this guys instructions then install SBSettings (it's like an app) thru Cydia (which will be installed after you follow the vid) then thru SBSettings (SBSettings Setup - SetToggles) you activate the home button feature... Now this whole process takes a while but anyone with a bit of free time shouldn't have a problem. I think the longest part was re-installing everything back onto my 32Gig pod

Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3t8AJ4ESzL0#at=304

Johnnydcj

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Thank you my iPods home button works great now :)

AlyStyles

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
cant fix it but i can help!

follow these insrtuctions
1.go to settings
2.go to general
3.scroll to bottom and click accessibility
4.then scroll to bottom again
5.click assitive touch
6.turn it on

you should have a little button on your screen it will look like..
the size of an app and like the home button
u can move it around and click it. it will give you the options to
go home
voice control
device
faves
then you can use it to go to your home :)
it wont fix your button but ittl help till you can take it to apple :) i had to use it forever >:) i call it da handitard button >:) lol

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
follow these insrtuctions
1.go to settings
2.go to general
3.scroll to bottom and click accessibility
4.then scroll to bottom again
5.click assitive touch
6.turn it on

you should have a little button on your screen it will look like..
the size of an app and like the home button
u can move it around and click it. it will give you the options to
go home
voice control
device
faves
then you can use it to go to your home :)
it wont fix your button but ittl help till you can take it to apple :) i had to use it forever >:) i call it da handitard button >:) lol

1. This thread was made in 2008, there was no assitive touch at the time.
2. You bumped a 1 year old thread....

TresMusical1020

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Oh, yah, the only thing I can think of is going to the apple store and asking them to fix it or recommend someone who can.

----------

But, for iPhones there is a glitch that makes it so that you're iPhone will not lock. (It will still lock on its own if you have it set that way, if you do not, then set it that way!!) So yah the lock button does not work when that glitch strikes your iPhone. It may not, but I think eventually it will. Many people that I know that have iPhones have experienced that glitch, including my brother. And it doesn't get fixed unless you take it to apple to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.