Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway ...

I was thinking of buying an Apple TV. One of the main ways I'd use it would be to use airplay mirroring to watch movies from my MacBook Air on the Apple TV (for example MKV movies that are not supported by Apple TV ... I know, I know, but I dont want to spend time/effort converting formats).

However, I only have satellite broadband with very low download limits of 10gb/month. I'm already hitting those limits.

So here is my question ... will using airplay mirroring between the MBA and Apple TV use up my bandwidth allowance? Or is bandwidth used up by actually downloading from the Interwebs???

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I cant find the answer anywhere.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Bandwidth is only on the net

Example streaming from Netflix

Anything that stays inside your own network like MBA to Apple TV is not using your bandwith

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Your download allowance should only be used up by downloads from the internet. In the case you describe you should be fine.

You should look into the Roku/Plex combination, instead of your proposed solution.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Your download allowance should only be used up by downloads from the internet. In the case you describe you should be fine.

You should look into the Roku/Plex combination, instead of your proposed solution.

Could you tell me more about this Roku/Plex combination?

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Roku makes streaming STBs (http://www.roku.com) like the XS 2. You can install the Plex (http://www.plexapp.com) client on the Roku box and stream from any Plex Server. You can install the Plex Server on any computer you want, and stream anything in your library to the Roku. The Roku also has H+/Netflix/etc built in.

I just bought an XS 2 for someone and it was $70 ($30 cheaper than the ATV). Plex is free.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
I just want to add...

I had streaming issues at home when I was airplay mirroring at 1080p. [such as lagging issues, distorted images, unsync-ed sound]
All is fine at 720p.

you would want to reconsider that option.

Last edited:

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I had streaming issues at home when I was airplay mirroring at 1080p. [such as lagging issues, distorted images, unsync-ed sound] ... All is fine at 720p.

If he has a 1gb wired LAN he won't have problems

I have satellite "broadband" ... that is my problem!!! My download speed is about 2.5mb/s, and latency/ping is around 800ms.

Will this be enough LAN/network capacity to use Apple TV properly?? Or will this even matter???

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
I have satellite "broadband" ... that is my problem!!! My download speed is about 2.5mb/s, and latency/ping is around 800ms.

Will this be enough LAN/network capacity to use Apple TV properly?? Or will this even matter???

if u're not into the iTunes eco, there are many other options than ATV.
As suggested by the other users.

Air-mirroring has no buffering time, so if the (local) network isnt fast enough, u'll have issues.

Doing stuff locally (such as using an ATV or a roku, with another computer in the same local network) would not touch ur limitation(10gb, if i remember reading correctly) - so u dont have to worry about the download speed and latency issues[that u mentioned - and u're worried abt].

update: personally about the wired stuff. even if the speed is good with wires. i don't want to go back to the old days when I have to attach lan wires to bed just to use the internet.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011

What is your home router

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

You are confusing Internet speed, ur 2.5mb, to your intranet (much higher).

WIFI speed problems relates to a sub-optimal WIFI setup. WIFI is one of those things that many times requires extra effort on your part beyond it-just-works.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Which Generation? or which year if you prefer

I bought it 18 months ago ... it's the 4th generation 802.11n firmware 7.6.1

Thanks for all the help btw. Beers on me if I ever meet you guys (especially Ratatapa)!!!

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Ok let's try not to ****ed up this explanation

Your AirPort Extreme has the 5ghz wifi and gigabit LAN

Now to stream here is what you can do

If you have an Apple TV 2 nd gen

You can config it on wifi( on the 5ghz band or with the Ethernet cable and stream 720p no problems)

Apple TV 2nd gen cannot do 1080p

If you have the 3rd gen

You can config it on wifi( on the 5ghz band or with the Ethernet cable and stream 720p no problems)

But if you want 1080p I suggest you use the Ethernet cable to use the 1gigabyte speed

----------

Also going to bed so won't answer till tomorrow if you have another question

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.