Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I find it interesting that I've never recieved an alert about anything else before, in September my area was hit with 2 tornadoes and in October we had a Hurricane (Sandy), but I received the blizzard warning alert which scared the hell out of me because I didn't know what it was.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I was well aware of the storm but I just think it's wrong that I pay $200+ for a service and I don't get options other carriers do.

??? Not sure why this makes sense, Verizon users pay the same (if not more) than you do and can't talk and use the internet at the same time. Additionally I'm fairly certain all carriers offer network specific "perks" for people on contract, that's like saying it's wrong that Burger King gives you a medium fry with your combo while McDonalds gives you a large.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is the type of thing that is annoying 99% of the time but could end up being incredibly useful and critical one day. It's not just about weather alerts -- but other emergency situations as well. If you lose power then your smartphone may indeed become the only functional way to get instructions. At any rate, AT&T is working to bring to their LTE network, so it'll be fine.

Exvidious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Lake Grove, New York
This is the type of thing that is annoying 99% of the time but could end up being incredibly useful and critical one day. It's not just about weather alerts -- but other emergency situations as well. If you lose power then your smartphone may indeed become the only functional way to get instructions. At any rate, AT&T is working to bring to their LTE network, so it'll be fine.
this is pretty much my point. I know that with a blizzard there are alot of other ways to know about it, but what about people with no power? or if it's a different, non weather related, situation? I lost power for 14 days in Sandy and my phone was my only way of getting information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.