Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
halo1234
macrumors newbie

Advice on brief video's - new to Mac

Hi I'm very new to using Mac's. I want to make a few short video's for close family.

I want something simple & easy to use. As I don't have alot of time. So I have the mini mac, blue snowball mic & a Logitech 920 webcam. All work great on other apps like skype & face time.

I guess iMovie is where i can patch it all together, but it seems I need separate software to record the video & sound. Which I will then work in iMovie. I'd also like to integrate pictures & music

What would be the best software for this or is there a better way?

Thanks
halo1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

iMovie will do what you want. I don't know if you can record from your webcam direct into iMovie though. If not, you'll need someway of recording the footage as a video file for import into iMovie.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Macrovertigo
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Macrovertigo
hmm

ideally, you would use any camera that records sound as well as video, but it sounds like you need to use GarageBand to record audio from your mic if your webcam doesn't have a mic, you would then save the audio file created in GarageBand, in iTunes, then when you are editing your video in iMovie, drag the audio file and drop it on the video timeline, a little jigging back and forth will let you synchronize well enough by ear. It can help, if, in the beginning of the recording you have your subject clap their hands once, this makes an easy place to synchronise video and audio in iMovie later.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4
talmy
macrumors 68040

Try QuickTime Player. Yes, it records as well as plays! It doesn't detect all webcams but if it detects yours then it will record it as well as audio.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:13 AM   #5
halo1234
macrumors newbie

Quicktime works fine. Where is the option to save the video & where are these files stored?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:41 AM   #6
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo1234 View Post
Quicktime works fine. Where is the option to save the video & where are these files stored?
When you close the window (Command-W) you will be asked where you want to save the file and what to name it. Because of autosave/resume you *won't* be asked if you quit (Command-Q) the application, but the video will be there to haunt you when you restart the app.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
halo1234
macrumors newbie

thank you
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:16 PM   #8
nixietoob
macrumors newbie

I also have a Logitech C920 and use Mac minis (a 2009 & a new 2012). After a lot of web research I found a couple apps and a tip about USB power that can be helpful. “Webcam Settings” in the App Store is inexpensive & lets you adjust things like manual focus, zoom, color & brightness, ... The author Mactaris also offers a free utility “Webcam Settings iMovie Enabler” at his website (although I haven’t tried this).

Another app that is interesting is “CamTwist” (free - Google for it) that offers a lot of functionality including switching between different webcams. There’s an older version 2.4 plus the developer is working on a 64-bit version for Lion/Mountain Lion.

As for the USB power tip, a webcam can draw more current than, say, a keyboard or a mouse. USB 2 is rated at 500 ma. & USB 3 at 900 ma. Adding a powered hub can give a safety margin by making more current available. (I personally use both a Belkin F4U016 and a Pluggable USB2-HUB-AG7.) I was having problems on my 2009 mini at one point and suspected USB Bus bandwidth might be at fault (had read about this on another forum). But when I added a powered hub the trouble cleared up. Logitech webcams can produce excellent images!
nixietoob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:54 AM   #9
fisha
macrumors regular

Do you have an iphone? or decent smartphone?

If so, why not also try to use the phone to record the video rather than the webcam. The phone could be much more versatile in that you could film in locations out and about whilst making the videos for your family.

I've been consistently impressed with the quality of phone video in recent times if its just basic videos you want.
fisha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
ronknights
macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm missing something here. Your procedure is simpler than other responses appear to suggest.

You can go into System Preferences and be sure your Blue Snowball mic is the default mic. It should work for all your Mac apps.

I don't have any direct experience with the Logitech C920 web camera, but it appears to be highly regarded.
ronknights is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video