Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey all

There are a few TV Shows I own on DVD that are not available in the Australian iTunes store like Seinfeld, Farscape, Married With Children etc that i would like to convert to m4v when i get a Apple TV. That said can i get cover art for TV Shows and even movies that i cannot purchase from iTunes to keep my iTunes library consistent any url links would be appreciated.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Iflicks from the MAS will find just about everything....I think it's around £2.99 but it's found all my converted files, and although you may have to point it in the right direction, if your titles are labeled with even a part of the title, it will find the art, optimise the file, delete the old and replace it with the new. A great little app.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Iflicks from the MAS will find just about everything....I think it's around £2.99 but it's found all my converted files, and although you may have to point it in the right direction, if your titles are labeled with even a part of the title, it will find the art, optimise the file, delete the old and replace it with the new. A great little app.

If licks will do the job as well as ivi. That's my preference between the two but both are great

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia

Thanks for the prompt feedback, its about 20bucks in Australia and best of all its on the appstore.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hey all

There are a few TV Shows I own on DVD that are not available in the Australian iTunes store like Seinfeld, Farscape, Married With Children etc that i would like to convert to m4v when i get a Apple TV. That said can i get cover art for TV Shows and even movies that i cannot purchase from iTunes to keep my iTunes library consistent any url links would be appreciated.

MetaZ is all you need. It will do artwork and all the meta data such a s year, genre, director, actors, summary etc.

Your mp4s and m4v files look exactly like they have come from iTunes.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36029/metaz

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey guys i downloaded both iflicks and handbrake and neither can copy my disk saying its copyrighted. I previously used to use the trail version of Ripit http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/ which had no problems ripping my dvds. I'am tempted to buy this and use MetaZ if it works for cover art. I do believe Ripit transfers files as m4v.

Last edited:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Hey guys i downloaded both iflicks and handbrake and neither can copy my disk saying its copyrighted. I previously used to use the trail version of Ripit http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/ which had no problems ripping my dvds. I'am tempted to buy this and use MetaZ if it works for cover art. I do believe Ripit transfers files as m4v.

Make sure you download VLC Media Player. It should be able to give handbrake the ability to bypass the copyright. You don't need VLC open during your rip because handbrake is pretty much just using a file that VLC installs when it is installed. So try that first.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

I use Handbrake. It is bullet proof.

If you want to rip DVDs you simply need to add libdvdcss.pkg to Handbrake.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.11/macosx/

After running it through handbrake on the Apple TV setting (best res), run the M4v or Mp4 through MetzZ. When you load the file in MetaZ it will ask if it is a TV show, Movie etc. Choose the one, then you should get a list of what movie, TV show etc it is. Choose the correct one, then click which boxes you want to add to the meta data of the file (graphics etc). Then add to queue, then run queue and your done. The drop it into iTunes etc.

Also, MetaZ picks the relevant meta data based ont he actual files name. So the file that you open in it should be name something like Seinfeld 1x01 for season 1 show 1. Or Movie files should be name say The Hobbit (2012). MetaZ picks up on the name and give you 'The Hobbit' as the option to load the data from.

Hard to explain but you will see what I mean when you run it.

Also shortcuts in it are 'CMD O' to open and add new file, and 'Shift CMD B' to add the file (after you tick the relevant meta data) to the queue.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Make sure you download VLC Media Player. It should be able to give handbrake the ability to bypass the copyright. You don't need VLC open during your rip because handbrake is pretty much just using a file that VLC installs when it is installed. So try that first.

This is no longer accurate. VLC does not provide the libraries needed for decryption. They have to be download directly.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
If licks will do the job as well as ivi. That's my preference between the two but both are great

Props to iVI Pro. I just purchased this software and man, let me tell you. This is the most perfect piece of software that I have ever used. Just make sure when you import your shows, select the frame rate settting "as source" This will keep the proper frame rate that the show was encoded at. The cool thing about this software is that it compresses/Muxes at the same time. It is like a hybrid conversion. Example, I can import a 5 gig movie and spit out a 4.5 gig H.264 video file with full Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream passthrough. Just make sure when you select the type of device you check mark iPhoto, AppleTV3, and iPhone5. This makes the software produce near perfect picture quality. IE very little compression. Another thing is, deselect auto find meta-data in the settings when you import your TV shows. If you do not do this, your computer will search and search and search and search for ever trying to find the proper meta-data. If you deselect this auto find, you can manually search for the proper meta-data for TV shows. For movies, select auto search, it just works. Again, very cool software.

----------

If you choose to use auto lookup, navigate to http://www.thetvdb.com search for your show and verify how your show is spelled and categorized. Then type this into iVI pro. It should find the show very quick.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Props to iVI Pro. I just purchased this software and man, let me tell you. This is the most perfect piece of software that I have ever used. Just make sure when you import your shows, select the frame rate settting "as source" This will keep the proper frame rate that the show was encoded at. The cool thing about this software is that it compresses/Muxes at the same time. It is like a hybrid conversion. Example, I can import a 5 gig movie and spit out a 4.5 gig H.264 video file with full Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream passthrough. Just make sure when you select the type of device you check mark iPhoto, AppleTV3, and iPhone5. This makes the software produce near perfect picture quality. IE very little compression. Another thing is, deselect auto find meta-data in the settings when you import your TV shows. If you do not do this, your computer will search and search and search and search for ever trying to find the proper meta-data. If you deselect this auto find, you can manually search for the proper meta-data for TV shows. For movies, select auto search, it just works. Again, very cool software.

----------

If you choose to use auto lookup, navigate to http://www.thetvdb.com search for your show and verify how your show is spelled and categorized. Then type this into iVI pro. It should find the show very quick.
In the compression example you site above, is that for all sources or only those that already use the h.264 codec? So I guess my question is: is the file being transcoded or re-containerized?

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
In the compression example you site above, is that for all sources or only those that already use the h.264 codec? So I guess my question is: is the file being transcoded or re-containerized?

This is what I got from the company.

I asked, "Does this software transcode or mux the incoming video file".

This is the response I got from Dave Schaffer from South Pole Software.

It does both depending on the settings. You can use the Pass through setting on the conversion tab of iVI's preferences to turn on fast conversion by just remuxing files. If the files won't work without a full conversion (will not play on your device) then iVI will do that instead.

But my experience has been that if you check mark iPhoto in the device compatibility list along with AppleTV 3 and Iphone 5, very little compression is employed when the file is transcoded from MKV to H.264. Like I said, I can take a 5 gig movie and spit out a 4.5 gig H.264 file that plays on my AppleTV3perfect. I tried the pass through setting so the software just Muxes the MKV file to H.264, but my AppleTV3 will not play it. It basically comes down to a trade off. If you want a perfect Muxed video file which only takes a few minutes to complete, you take the risk of not being compatible with AppleTV 3. If you want very little compression and have the file transcoded, you will have compadibility with AppleTV3. I will say this, I am amazed at how the video looks after iVI gets done transcoding. I honestly cannot tell the difference in picture quality while watching on my 65in Panasonic plasma.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
This is no longer accurate. VLC does not provide the libraries needed for decryption. They have to be download directly.

mic j you always seem to teach me something everyday. :) I didn't realize they didn't come with VLC anymore...

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
mic j you always seem to teach me something everyday. :) I didn't realize they didn't come with VLC anymore...
Just trying to keep people from the frustration of wild goose chases. Hope I didn't come off badly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.