Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I really need help with something. My Canon Optura 50 MiniDV camcorder was working really well until this afternoon when I was shooting a home movie when the LCD screen suddenly dimmed and then it powered off. Now it doesn't do anything at all; I can't turn it on, I can't charge the battery (it was fully charged when this happened), and I can't eject the tape. I tried the "reset" feature and it didn't help.

Does anybody have any idea on how I could at least remove the tape if the camcorder can't be repaired? (i.e. taking it apart or something) It has vital footage on it that cannot be reshot...

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Connect camcorder into mains and see if you get any power. Do you have a spare battery?
When you charged your battery before did you wait until there was no charge. Or did you charged your battery half way through?
You should be able to use your camcorder on mains power. If not check your fuse on your socket.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Connect camcorder into mains and see if you get any power. Do you have a spare battery?
When you charged your battery before did you wait until there was no charge. Or did you charged your battery half way through?
You should be able to use your camcorder on mains power. If not check your fuse on your socket.

I did not get any power from the mains. I tried it on various outlets.
I let the battery charge when it was half-drained up to full. But I doubt it's a problem with the battery...

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
So if you connect any power source to your camcorder there is no power on your camcorder.?
Go on web page of your camcorder manufacture and see if they have a trouble section.
A camcorder dont die for no reason. We did the other night have a power surge.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
UPDATE: Now sometimes when I attempt to power it on, the light briefly blinks and the camcorder beeps but then stops. I wonder what is going on with it now...

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Check your wiring on your plug also check for any loose connection. It sounds if you have a fault with your wire or connection. Camcorder seems fine from what you say.

rockbestit

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
A camcorder dont die for no reason. We did the other night have a power surge.
eedszw

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Dandeco, have you opened your plug and see if all the wiring is connected?. If you are getting some sort of power something is loose with your connections.
Why not get your camcorder checked out?
Once you got your tape out and it is greased up I know a way of clearing it.:)

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
A camcorder dont die for no reason.
True, they die for a reason. Usually because something inside has failed. I had the same problem as the OP. Working one day, not the next. No power light, either on battery or mains.

It was still under guarantee, so I got a replacement. Luckily there was only about 10 minutes or so of video on the tape. Meant that I couldn't use it for the rest of my holiday in the Rockies though. :(

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
True, they die for a reason. Usually because something inside has failed. I had the same problem as the OP. Working one day, not the next. No power light, either on battery or mains.

It was still under guarantee, so I got a replacement. Luckily there was only about 10 minutes or so of video on the tape. Meant that I couldn't use it for the rest of my holiday in the Rockies though. :(

If that tape had 10 min of VITAL footage that couldn't be re-shot... and you're going on Vacation.... I'd use a NEW tape.... Tapes are cheap, Footage and Cameras are not.

Not sure why-- even with a replacement camera --- you'd keep that tape in there and continue to use?? Just curious:confused:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Was on holiday when the camcorder failed so spent the rest of the time without a camcorder. I had to send the camcorder away to get the new unit when I got home. The tape didn't come back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.