Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
JPEGs are definitely inferior but given that my pictures over the last day have just been test photos I don't want to go through the workflow of bringing them in as RAW files. I will however be testing some of these with photoshop when I actually take a few "real" pictures - at least adobe has their act together. Apparently DPP from canon is not processing the RAW files correctly (they're coming out way too soft according to the-digital-picture.com) and is completely unreliable as of right now until Canon makes a fix.

Yeah, I just saw that review today. It makes DPP look utterly useless. I tried it out yesterday because I wanted to see how the new DLO feature works (it's very exciting, by the way), but I happened to use some older files, not one from the 5D3. So I didn't notice any softness problems. I'll have to open one up and see if what that review said about DPP is true.

Edit: Egads!! I just opened the same 5D3 file in both DPP and ACR. No comparison. Yeah, DPP is useless for these files. Canon needs to issue an update.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Since European cities are more compact, I WA lens would probably suit you very well. But if you're going to use the 5DII, 24mm, I think, is pretty wide on a FF camera body. Personally, I use the combo of my 5DII and 24-105 as my walking around lens. Plus, with having IS on the lens, it gives you greater flexibility if you're shooting in low light or at dusk (especially since it seems you're not bringing a tripod).

Overall, I would go with option #2.

Heyref

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I see you have made your choice, and I think it's a good one. I have been to Paris and Rome several times; you'll have a great time. I agree with your choice not to take a flash, but you might want to think about a mini-tripod. One of the great joys is walking around Paris at night, and a little extra stability is sometimes needed for a great shot. There's always something to set it on. I am a huge believer in traveling very light and didn't take one my first trip. The nice thing is that when I decided I needed one, Paris is full of photo shops. Have a great trip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.