Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Can anybody explain to me what "fulfilled by Amazon" means? I'm planning to buy an iPad from Amazon UK, and the product is "fulfilled by Amazon." What does this mean in terms of warranty, returns, refunds, etc? Thanks very much in advance for the clarification.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

That's the info aimed at sellers, not buyers.

EDIT: This is how they describe it for buyers.

Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Super Saver Shipping and Amazon Prime.

Effectively what it means is that the product is not sold by Amazon, it's merely warehoused and shipped by them and they also handle the payment part of it including returns/refunds.

The warranty is still handled primarily by the manufacturer, not the seller, at least in the US.

B

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
That's the info aimed at sellers, not buyers.

EDIT: This is how they describe it for buyers.

Effectively what it means is that the product is not sold by Amazon, it's merely warehoused and shipped by them and they also handle the payment part of it including returns/refunds.

The warranty is still handled primarily by the manufacturer, not the seller, at least in the US.

B

Thanks. I realize that the warranty is "handled" by the manufacturer, in the sense that you have to go to the manufacturer when your product is defective. However, the warranty has to be first authenticated by the seller; for example, your warranty may not be valid if you purchase your iPad from an unauthorized seller. Thus, it is importan that your seller is an authorized Apple reseller. At least, that's how I think it works?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks. I realize that the warranty is "handled" by the manufacturer, in the sense that you have to go to the manufacturer when your product is defective. However, the warranty has to be first authenticated by the seller; for example, your warranty may not be valid if you purchase your iPad from an unauthorized seller. Thus, it is importan that your seller is an authorized Apple reseller. At least, that's how I think it works?

If the product has never been registered you will be fine submitting your Amazon from 3rd party seller receipt for a full warranty. (This is from lots of experiencing registering Apple products from Amazon none officially resellers.) If your product has been registered (unlikely for a new product) Apple may or may not turn their nose at adjusting your purchase date to reflect the purchase date on your receipt from Amazon 3rd party reseller. (This is also from lots of personal experience with Apple products from Amazon 3rd party sellers). My experience is from the US.

AmazonGenius

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Can anybody explain to me what "fulfilled by Amazon" means? I'm planning to buy an iPad from Amazon UK, and the product is "fulfilled by Amazon." What does this mean in terms of warranty, returns, refunds, etc? Thanks very much in advance for the clarification.

Ok, so Fulfillment By Amazon is actually a pretty cool service. Essentially what it means is the product you want to buy is in an Amazon warehouse. The product will be processed and ship from Amazon directly to you. Buying Fulfilled By Amazon products gives buyers the ability to receive FREE 2 Day Shipping if they have Amazon Prime. The best things about buying products that are Fulfillment By Amazon is the insanely quick shipping and delivery time.

If you're a seller thinking of using Fulfillment By Amazon, then it simply means you're shipping all of your products directly to Amazon, and then when someone orders your product, instead of you physically packaging and shipping the product, Amazon does it for you.

Does that make sense?

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Everything I've ever ordered that said "Fulfilled by Amazon" arrived and was just as like every other "from Amazon" product I've ever ordered. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.