Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I don't really like the current rMBP screens, while they are ultra sharp and amazing, its the colour vividness/brighness that is a bit off...I wish it was like the iPhone 5...

So will we see the same screens for a long time to come or likely improvements?

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Not quite sure what you're unhappy about? I put my MBP 13 and rMBP 13 side by side and the IPS display blows the old LCD one to pieces. Colours are richer and deeper.

Yeah they look nice, but there's something about it has a murky feel to it, I've seen people mention it on this forum, plus apparently the Samsung screen has better colors, I only seen the LG ones.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
One thing about the current displays is that they have a lower max brightness because of the high pixel density.

Sharp's new IGZO displays are rumored to be going into Apple products this year (iPad 5 and iPad mini retina mostly) because they allow high pixel densities while requiring less backlight power to achieve the same brightness level.

Maybe those displays will make it to the MBP line at some point, nobody really knows for sure if or when that could happen though.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
One thing about the current displays is that they have a lower max brightness because of the high pixel density.

Sharp's new IGZO displays are rumored to be going into Apple products this year (iPad 5 and iPad mini retina mostly) because they allow high pixel densities while requiring less backlight power to achieve the same brightness level.

Maybe those displays will make it to the MBP line at some point, nobody really knows for sure if or when that could happen though.

Find my 13" screen too bright on anything more than about 11? I don't know how to check the manufacturer but I am more than impressed

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Yeah they look nice, but there's something about it has a murky feel to it, I've seen people mention it on this forum, plus apparently the Samsung screen has better colors, I only seen the LG ones.
It's supposed to look 'dark'. Those deep blacks, people would kill for.

You can adjust the gamma up a little bit if you want.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I am pretty sure they will not update the screens, these ones are amazing, and the graphics card is pretty good too, I have to trouble running anything graphic intensive.
Intelligently switching between the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M is genius. Why would you want a super powerful graphics card like the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M running all the time.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Yes it is, i get lag in a lot of places with my 15" inch retina macbook

The lag is probably more of a software/CPU problem. There's a good chance your machine is not even using the discrete GPU when you are experiencing that lag (unless you happen to have iPhoto or a video app open). Have you checked with something like gfxCardStatus?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Calibrate the colors lol. The screen is capable of vivid and deep colors, even if it is "mundane" to you.

I'd only be worried about IR.

----------

I'm more hopeful for a new screen that doesn't have the image retention problem. =/

Not all of the screens have IR, whether it be a LG or Samsung.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'm going to make do withmy current cMBPs for now; going to hope that Apple drop the price of the 15" rMBP down to the current 15" cMBP price (if Apple discontinue them). I guess we'll see. Hopefully we'll get a free upgrade to OS X 10.9 if we wait for the Haswell machines?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Frankly the screen is of less importance to me than the GPU...I won't be pulling the trigger until we get a DECENT discreet GPU.

Then you'll need to add a few mm to the thickness. Sorry. Physics dude. The GPU they gave you is one of the best for the thermal confines.

----------

I don't really like the current rMBP screens, while they are ultra sharp and amazing, its the colour vividness/brighness that is a bit off...I wish it was like the iPhone 5...

So will we see the same screens for a long time to come or likely improvements?

You probably don't calibrate your screens do you? The retina is real close to professional calibrated color (or an attempt). You sound like you want worse (deviating from agreed upon standards) color as that is what you are used to. Especially if you run default profiles on non-apple displays. Maybe turn up the "vibrance" slider:) This will ruin the gamma curve and contrast and temperature.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Is it really that horrible?

no. It's actually pretty good. Not "whoa" good, but good.

Don't expect running 3D games @retina res, but a few of them actually are playable...

Yes it is, i get lag in a lot of places with my 15" inch retina macbook

Really? No lag when running 2880*1800 although it's the *same* amount of pixels. How on earth is that possible?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I've actually heard the opposite. The LG has better colors, but the Samsung is less prone to image retention. That said, I think the other poster is right that you may just not be used to the calibration. Windows PCs tend to be calibrated to a cooler (i.e. blue) point that makes them appear brighter. Big screen TVs and sometimes notebook screens are also calibrated to oversaturate colors.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
[/COLOR]

You probably don't calibrate your screens do you? The retina is real close to professional calibrated color (or an attempt). You sound like you want worse (deviating from agreed upon standards) color as that is what you are used to. Especially if you run default profiles on non-apple displays. Maybe turn up the "vibrance" slider:) This will ruin the gamma curve and contrast and temperature.

I think the OP is probably noticing the reduced brightness of the displays. From what I hear they're about 20% dimmer than the cMBP at max brightness. That might make it appear "murky" when viewed in a very bright setting of the OP is used to a cMBP.

I too am curious whether Apple will be able to increase brightness in the Haswell models. Not sure if they're 20% dimmer because of power constraints or what.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I think the OP is probably noticing the reduced brightness of the displays. From what I hear they're about 20% dimmer than the cMBP at max brightness. That might make it appear "murky" when viewed in a very bright setting of the OP is used to a cMBP.

I too am curious whether Apple will be able to increase brightness in the Haswell models. Not sure if they're 20% dimmer because of power constraints or what.

Power constraints most likely but they have been tested at 330cd/m2. That is brighter than cinema displays and 210cd/m2 brighter than pros calibrate their display's to (~120cd/m2). They are much more uniform than the super bright TN's in the classics as well. A pro screen does not need anything higher than 250cd/m2 imo. Usually higher is a detriment as when you push it lower you get contrast instability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.