Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Minxy
macrumors newbie

MacKeeper keeps appearing in Safari tabs

Hi.

I'm using Safari with Mountain Lion. I normally have multiple tabs open. I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that when I flick through my tabs I come to a tab with MacKeeper information page open although I never clicked on anything to open it. I suspect this is a very clever hijack done so its not noticed - but i've noticed. Anyone know how to stop this?
Minxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
Hi.

I'm using Safari with Mountain Lion. I normally have multiple tabs open. I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that when I flick through my tabs I come to a tab with MacKeeper information page open although I never clicked on anything to open it. I suspect this is a very clever hijack done so its not noticed - but i've noticed. Anyone know how to stop this?
It's a pop-up advertisement. That developer is notorious for such obnoxious ads. Make sure you have "Block Pop-Up Windows" checked in Safari.

Last edited by dejo; Mar 8, 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Don't discuss blocking ads.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

MacKeeper should be considered Malware due to the continual obnoxious ads for a product that doesn't do much.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Minxy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's a pop-up advertisement. That developer is notorious for such obnoxious ads. Make sure you have "Block Pop-Up Windows" checked in Safari.

Thanks for replying. I already have "Block Pop-Up Windows" checked. But what is happening is that MacKeeper is not appearing in a new Window but in a new tab. That might seem inoffensive but that means in some way MacKeeper has hijacked Safari and I don't want to see the ********** MacKeeper spamware webpage 30 times a day. This MacKeeper company spam should be made illegal.

Any ideas?
Minxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I did a google search on website blocker for safari and came up with

http://www.pimpmysafari.com/items/Wa...ste-your-time/

no idea if this is useful or not. I'd wonder what sites you visit that you keep getting mackeeper ads? I never see them.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X