Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:07 AM   #51
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
No they haven't. It might be better for where you live but there are still lots of areas in the UK where they are still quite poor.
It was always fine where I live. And it is fine now where I checked (huge areas near the south coast that were low quality). Where I used to live, there were huge areas missing, a few weeks ago there was a thin, long strip from north to south missing (with my old home right in the middle), and now it is fine. At any rate, it looks like they are getting there.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:17 AM   #52
tatonka
macrumors 6502

As long as Apple maps can't figure out the most common abbreviation or typos in search it is basically useless .. search for rd. instead of road still leads to an empty result.

But well .. Google Maps is back on iOS so there really is nothing to complain anymore. Just hide Apple Maps somewhere way deep and hope they learned their lesson and make iOS 7 rock.
tatonka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:31 AM   #53
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I wonder when Apple will fix the Maps icon, which shows directions for driving off an overpass...
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:18 AM   #54
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Nice to see that they are updating the maps.

But I wish you would be able to bookmark places so I don't have to keep looking for them!
Like in google maps.
Am3r1ca16 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:21 AM   #55
vtstarck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
But I wish you would be able to bookmark places so I don't have to keep looking for them!
Like in google maps.
Drop a pin and select "Add to Bookmarks".
vtstarck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:23 AM   #56
Snowy_River
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
I don't view Flyover and Street View as competing functions. Flyover, to me, is a novelty made for people who aren't necessarily using the app, at the time, for directions. Street View is for people who need directions and need to be able to see what their final destination looks like from their level.

If you don't see Street View as a valuable resource of directions, then you're blind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Unlike Flyover, I can pinpoint where a building is going to be on eye-level. I'd love Flyover if I was flying over, but since I approach most things at street level I'm more keen on Streetview. Just seems to be functional and cool, rather than having no functionality at all.
Okay, folks, I know this kind of thing comes up from time to time, but let's try to be a little more civil about it. I'm delighted that you find Streetview useful. It's great that it's there for you. But, if when I've tried to use it I haven't found it terribly useful, whereas I have found Flyover to be useful, doesn't mean that I'm blind or not understanding the true coolness and functionality of Streetview. It just means that I like a different set of tools.

Personally, the ability to shift the view in a 3D sense gives me a much better feel for how an area around a destination looks and feels than the blurry, hard to distinguish, flat photos that make up Streetview every could. It has nothing to do with the question of "flying over" vs. being at "street view".

I'm not saying that Streetview has no functionality, or that anyone who can't see the usefulness of Flyover is blind. I'm saying that they offer different things, and my preference, from an overall functionality for me standpoint, is the Flyover in Apple maps.

Now, what could make things even better would be if the two technologies merged to the point where you could shift the flyover view all the way down to a street view perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I wonder when Apple will fix the Maps icon, which shows directions for driving off an overpass...
Honestly, this criticism is old and, frankly, was pretty weak when it first came out. The map image shown in the icon is a simplified map that doesn't show on ramps, etc. In this kind of simplified map, when drawing a route on, it would be typical to show the route turn right (or left, in this case) onto the freeway.
Snowy_River is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:25 AM   #57
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtstarck View Post
Drop a pin and select "Add to Bookmarks".
Haha oh wow thank you. Now I feel silly
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:27 AM   #58
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
That's what they want you to do.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:38 AM   #59
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Guess I need to inform Apple that the Minnesota Twins no longer play at the Metrodome.

Ha ha. I was excited to see that Mpls was included in the update but didn't wander to that side of downtown. Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium both look amazing.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:26 AM   #60
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

They need to find a way to crowd source these Mapping Data fixes.
Maybe needs to acquire Waze and do the Social GPS thing.
It should be effortless for the end users but the more you use Maps the better it should get.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:17 PM   #61
matty.p
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
They need to find a way to crowd source these Mapping Data fixes.
Maybe needs to acquire Waze and do the Social GPS thing.
It should be effortless for the end users but the more you use Maps the better it should get.
I think the problem that Apple then runs into is that it has to trust a user to provide accurate information. If a user enters an address wrong or a phone number incorrectly they will receive the same criticism of having inaccurate information.

They rely on Cities and Government data right now. That data seems to be the weak point right now. I've actually seen a lot of POI data being updated and additions lately in San Diego, where I live. A restaurant that opened just three or four weeks ago now shows up on the map when I zoom in to where my school is. Always improving is good and as a user we will be much better off with Apple working so hard to improve.
matty.p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:24 PM   #62
extradryny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka View Post
But well .. Google Maps is back on iOS so there really is nothing to complain anymore.
Except you can't select a default mapping app, so everybody I know with iOS 6 still ends up in Apple Maps all the time, like it or not.
extradryny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:32 PM   #63
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

So Apple Maps update themselves?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:56 PM   #64
gaggenau
macrumors newbie

This is old News atleast parts of it. The area of the 3D View of Stockholm was expanded include the suburbs weeks ago. One funny thing is that apple missed the 120 meter high hotel Victoria tower in Kista outside Stockholm you can only see the shadow in the 3d view.
Last week the Swedish town Linköping got 3d view support. The company behind apples 3d view ( C3) has its roots in the that town.
gaggenau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:43 PM   #65
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
My House is still in the middle of the road

keep telling me my current location is on the road while am in my room on my bed.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:18 PM   #66
powers74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Flyover is pointless unless your Spider-Man. Bring back street view.
Have to disagree. I just realized iPad2 (which I rarely use since it's the wife/kids machine) supported 3D maps the night before last and... AWESOME! While I get that "StreetView" is more "realistic" since it's from the same POV as, well, street view, "Flyover" is way faster, more dynamic and gives you a great sense of the overall surroundings. I'm sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
I guarantee in 5 years' time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majority.

Although I'm probably wrong. Just wanted to say something ridiculous to have the merit of "I called it first!"
Yeah, well, call me nuts, but I have to agree with that statement.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:21 PM   #67
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonkapow View Post
>somehow mistook MacRumors for 4chan
>did not die in a fire
>implying there's a difference
>mfw

constanza.jpg
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:43 AM   #68
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
No they haven't. It might be better for where you live but there are still lots of areas in the UK where they are still quite poor.
Indeed. Even London's imagery is pretty bad when you compare it against what Google has.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion