Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:30 AM   #26
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
That video sure looks like an Ive video...
And the CEO kind of has a Forstall vibe to him.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:38 AM   #27
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Is this John Sculley finally trying to prove that he is product person?
Finally, this is a thread where I can honestly say: "Steve Jobs would never have allowed this (into his Apple Stores)."

.... Because this is John Sculley we are talking about.
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #28
latts
macrumors member

Apple needs to patent their presentations, the whole thing is a Applesque and unimaginative (the advert not the device). Black top, machinery, come on.....
latts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:12 PM   #29
bnp
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=Gus Van Der Mee;17690302]Why should i buy this or that?

The ad says it is WATERPROOF.
None of the other devices are. I purchased a FITband only to return it as much of my exericse is done swimming and water aerobics

I can wear SHINE for all my exercise, dry or wet
I was waiting for something like this
bnp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:35 PM   #30
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
cool cute gadget
Old Aug 6, 2013, 04:25 PM   #31
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
.....For example here is my fitbit data from last week:
Weekly Totals
113,673 steps 487 floors 54.39 miles 29,981 calories
Active males need between 2800-3000 calories/day (less for women), depending on age.
Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...ntake-for-men/

Dude, are you saying you burned 29,981 calories in a week, which is almost 4300/day? You must be eating like a horse, or losing weight big time. Either that or your FitBit needs recalibrating.

Last edited by macs4nw; Aug 7, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:29 PM   #32
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
That video is so ridiculously vague about what it does and how it does it. How is it different than a step counter or the nike thing?
Yeah seriously, what the hell does it do lol. I watched 90% of that video and the only thing I heard about it is you can see how close you are to your goal, which means I'm assuming it is at least a pedometer. As far as I'm concerned it's a $110 piece of aluminum that lights up, and then there is an app that actually does stuff to accompany it.
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:39 PM   #33
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
I hope I can get it shipped to my door so I don't have to get off the couch to go buy it.
lol...You crack me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....Shine is an elegant new activity tracker that helps you live a more active life. Wear Shine anywhere on your body with our range of accessories that are designed for any occasion. Then sync with the Shine app to set your activity goal, check your daily progress, and see your movement trends.

Shine will also be coming shortly to Apple's retail and online stores. The device briefly appeared in Apple's online store yesterday in a $119.95 package that also includes Shine's sport band bracelet strap, although it has now been removed from the store for unknown reasons.

Article Link: Physical Activity Monitor 'Shine' Launching in Apple Stores
The removal from APPLE's website may be explained perhaps by the rumored iWatch in the pipeline. While that 'Shine' appears to be a nicely crafted and well designed product (I'm impressed with it reportedly being waterproof), it is an activity monitor, and an activity monitor only.

With APPLE's rumored new iWatch now supposedly seeming to be also (or more), geared towards the medical/health aspects of our lives, it is very likely to also include an activity monitor. So while that rumored iWatch will probably cost more than the 'Shine's $120, it will also be a lot more useful, with a probable tie-in to APPLE's ecosystem, and a possible iWatch App store.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:33 PM   #34
SuperRob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
That video is so ridiculously vague about what it does and how it does it. How is it different than a step counter or the nike thing?
I funded this, and received mine today. Sadly, it's not compatible with iOS7 yet.

It's an accelerometer. That's it, really. It uses algorithms to determine what the movements mean, but that's really all that's in there. You set your activity goal in the app, sync with the Shine, and it will light up when you tap it to show you how close you are to making that goal. It can also function as a watch by blinking the twelve lights like a watch might, solid for the hour, and blinking for the minute (rounded to the closest five minutes). It's waterproof, which is a big plus, although I've already heard of one person getting water in theirs, so be careful when installing the battery.

How it communicates is even less exciting. While Sonny promised a new way of syncing because wireless was impossible through a solid metal device ... in actuality it's using Bluetooth LE. The Shine doesn't need to be on the iPhone screen at all, it can actually communicate with the Shine a short distance away. I'm betting that's what broke in iOS7.

Anyway, I basically have a very pretty magnetic paperweight sitting on my desk at work now.
SuperRob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:33 PM   #35
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

When I read this, for some reason I thought they meant a physical incarnation of the Activity Monitor from Mac OS X. I was confused.

Quote:
I hope I can get it shipped to my door so I don't have to get off the couch to go buy it.
Have your wife phone in the order for you
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:17 AM   #36
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by latts View Post
Apple needs to patent their presentations, the whole thing is a Applesque and unimaginative (the advert not the device). Black top, machinery, come on.....
Well, you do realize that John Sculley was CEO of Apple for several years, right? Right?

Having been CEO of Apple during the late 80s and early 90s, John Sculley obviously has personally embraced many things about the Apple "culture" and the Apple "look and feel". He was part of Apple in those days. You can't take those ideas away from him. You cannot sue the man and force him to erase the thoughts and ideas and tech culture that he learned from Apple during those years.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:44 AM   #37
Dagless
macrumors Core

So it's a Nike Fuelband? A lot of people seem to be making these now.

I don't like the look of this one however. And how come an ex-CEO has to turn to a funding site to create a product?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1990 View Post
When I read this, for some reason I thought they meant a physical incarnation of the Activity Monitor from Mac OS X. I was confused.
Same!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:10 AM   #38
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
how come an ex-CEO has to turn to a funding site to create a product?
He doesn't.

Other (more in depth) articles about the device claim the crowdsourced funding was more about marketing and gauging interest than about actual dollars.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:28 AM   #39
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

[QUOTE=macs4nw;17693251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
.....For example here is my fitbit data from last week:
Weekly Totals
113,673 steps 487 floors 54.39 miles 29,981 calories

Active males need between 2800-3000 calories/day (less for women), depending on age.
Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...ntake-for-men/

Dude, are you saying you burned 29,981 calories in a week, which is almost 4300/day? You must be eating like a horse, or losing weight big time. Either that or your FitBit needs recalibrating.
I biked over 240 miles last week.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:16 AM   #40
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1990 View Post

Have your wife phone in the order for you
Or my husband.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:49 PM   #41
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

I do not need

I do not need apple telling me how lazy I am. I have parents for that.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 07:39 PM   #42
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

Quote:
Or my husband.
Whatever works
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:54 AM   #43
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote: