Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyfcc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
My wii u and ps3 both have the Super HD logo next to the movies that support it. My Apple TV (3rd Generation) does not show that Super HD logo. I wonder if the Apple TV really does support it yet.

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
My wii u and ps3 both have the Super HD logo next to the movies that support it. My Apple TV (3rd Generation) does not show that Super HD logo. I wonder if the Apple TV really does support it yet.

Were there any updates required for the PS3 or WiiU? Doesn't seem there should be, since essentially it's just a higher bit-rate stream. ATV3 is definitely on the list of supported devices.

billyfcc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Were there any updates required for the PS3 or WiiU? Doesn't seem there should be, since essentially it's just a higher bit-rate stream. ATV3 is definitely on the list of supported devices.

There were no updates for the PS3 and WiiU. I know that Netflix lists the Apple TV as a supported device, but the movies that are listed as SuperHD on the PS3 and WiiU are not listed as SuperHD on the Apple TV.

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
There were no updates for the PS3 and WiiU. I know that Netflix lists the Apple TV as a supported device, but the movies that are listed as SuperHD on the PS3 and WiiU are not listed as SuperHD on the Apple TV.

Interesting. Well, were you able to tell any difference in PQ? Are all HD movies listed as SuperHD?

billyfcc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Interesting. Well, were you able to tell any difference in PQ? Are all HD movies listed as SuperHD?

I did notice a little bit of a difference of PQ, nothing substantial though. Not all HD movies are labeled as SuperHD, but many are. I have been re-watching the show Lost on Netflix that last few weeks and it is now labeled as SuperHD on the PS3 and WiiU.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Currently talking to Netflix support online and I've been told that I would definitely need to update the Apple TV. She assumed the update was already out and when I told her there wasn't one available she told me she had no further information regarding it. So not sure if this is an issue on Netflix's side or Apple's.

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Frontier FIOS service in my area shows as a supported provider. I have an Apple TV 3 but I have not seen the Super HD symbol on anything yet.

Can someone name some movies that show as available in Super HD?

FWIW, I did notice that episodes of Burn Notice seemed to have a better picture the past few days.

James

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
UVerse?

nvm, remoted into home to test.

Denied :(
and that's with (including remote session)

Guess still no reason to update AppleTV.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.