Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rex3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I've been plagued by very short battery life on my rMBP, and I've traced it down to java. Java is always using 100-120% of my CPU in Activity Monitor. It's a root process, not affected by switching users. I don't have any idea what to do about this. It continues even if I disable java in Safari.

Thanks!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Can you share a screenshot from system monitor ? What software you have installed ? Something known running in Java and have some"little helper" installed?

rex3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I'm not running anything that I know of that would explain this. Here's the screenshot, though.

Attachments

• java cpu usage screenshot (1).jpg
    java cpu usage screenshot (1).jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 704

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
what happens if you kill the java process?

my guess is that you have some software that has a dependency on java that is triggering java there is a runaway java process that is not on the activity monitor screened shown.

i.e. there is some java functionality in openoffice and other open source programs - so you might want to start there and see if there are any other possibilities.

Worse comes to worse, try backing up and restoring - though it might just restore the same behavior. check your startup as well if this is happening right after boot - it could be a background process while starting up.

rex3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks, everyone. I killed the process and restarted, and I can't recreate the situation. This seems strange to me because I restarted several times without killing the process and it kept coming back. In other words, I have no idea what caused it, but all's well now. Back up to 6 hours!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Thanks, everyone. I killed the process and restarted, and I can't recreate the situation. This seems strange to me because I restarted several times without killing the process and it kept coming back. In other words, I have no idea what caused it, but all's well now. Back up to 6 hours!

It's possible CrashPlan was part of the problem. It us fundamentally a Java app. When switching to a new machine, depending on how you migrated things, it could have exposed a bug in CrashPlan that ate CPU.

I had to tweak things a bit myself when migrating because of CrashPlan.

rex3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I just noticed my battery life plummeting again, and this time the culprit was the CrashPlan menu bar, which was using up 100% of the CPU. It makes me wonder if CrashPlan hasn't been the culprit the whole time. I did migrate from a Time Machine backup when I got my new rMBP. Can you tell me what you did to tweak things so CrashPlan behaved?

Thanks!

BruceJ1

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Crashplan misbehaving

After suffering with chronic battery life problems for several months, I removed Crashplan from my system. My Java CPU runaway/battery life problems are gone! My macbook runs much cooler, and I havn't had any problems since. Battery life has jumped from 3 hours to 6+ hours.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
CrashPlan?!? what a name.

And careful if you are a developer who uses the Eclipse IDE - it's also Java based and your free memory will be eclipsed by used memory.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Same with netbeans. All java based. I use parallels and visual studios even though I detest Microsoft. I just prefer it since I get every version for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.