Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I've never bought an Apple TV before and I'm thinking about buying one now. I have a question though...how often does Apple upgrade it? Is there really a feature/option missing that they'll throw in next update like they do with every iPhone or does it seem maxed out for upgrades?

EricByer

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I've never bought an Apple TV before and I'm thinking about buying one now. I have a question though...how often does Apple upgrade it? Is there really a feature/option missing that they'll throw in next update like they do with every iPhone or does it seem maxed out for upgrades?

Personally, I think the Apple TV 3 is great feature wise as it stands right now. Mirroring was a fun addition with 10.8 though, assuming you've a Mac to take advantage of it.

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
The ATV has been getting refreshed every two years. ATV 3 (current gen) was released March/April time. Hardware wise I'm happy with my current ATV - it all depends on what you want it for.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The hardware is pretty new and I would not expect an change any time soon. Probably, if changes do occur it will be with the firmware.

Of course...it's all just guessing!

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I wouldn't expect another one for quite a while. There's not a lot they can add to it right now. Until something changes in either technology I don't see them doing anything with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.