Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yiagoulas

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
LOS ANGELES
HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

GO TO HD/LIBRARY/QUICKTIME and get rid off the DVIx componets....
then upgrade to 9.0 and 9.1

I had 2 componets...
DIVx decoder component
DIVx encoder component

I will put one by one and try to see which one screws it up

Hope that helps

targettor

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
systematic solution for data corruption issues during iPhone library upgrade process

I had the same problem here, i.e. iPhoto '11 (version 9.1.5) crashed during the upgrade process of my old library (105GB) which was copied to my new Mac via TimeMachine restore.

The above steps did not work for me, tough I have to admit that I haven't tried to remove the DivX and avi converter plugin, even though I can see errors in my system log /var/log/system.log

I think it's unlikely that my upgrade process is crashing because of these plugins, because my library is 105GB big and the crash consistently happened at around 80% of the upgrade process, after many minutes and thousands of files and various different file types.

Here is what I did to solve my problem:
- open a command console (Terminal) and type the following command "sudo fs_usage -w -f filesys iPhoto" (don't hit Enter yet). This command will continuously list all files that are used by iPhoto. The executable file is part of Mac OS, you don't need to download and install.
- start iPhoto
- hit enter in your Terminal
- confirm to upgrade the library in iPhoto
- watch your Terminal. when it stops it is likely that iPhoto has crashed. Look for the last media file (jpg, jpeg, mov, avi, NEF, mpeg, etc) in your Terminal output
- remove this file from your iPhoto Library
- stop your fs_usage command by hitting "Ctrl C" while Terminal is in the foreground
- start iPhoto again and do the same steps again until it doesn't crash anymore. I had to delete all four files from the directory (in my case "Masters/2007/Roll\ 96/") leaving it empty.

hope this helps

Janna1

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
:mad:

I also have the problem that iPhoto '11 crashes when rebuilding the photo database.

So I removed iPhoto '11 and reinstalled '09, but that cannot acces the photodatabase because it was converted to a different format. What a bl@@dy nuisance this is!

I've tried several solutions mentioned in this forum but can't get any of them to work - I'm no computer wizzard.

I thought Windows had problems like this and not Apple. I'm pretty disappointed.

Were do I find that iPhoto Library?

vanderfun

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
iPhoto 11- unable to attach photos

I downloaded IPhoto 11 because my newly purchased MacBook (used) did not have the app. I can see all my photos and edit them. However when I try to attach a photo I cannot open IPhoto from there to isolate a photo, event or anything. And ideas would be appreciated.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
@vanderfun: This should have been a new thread. That aside, do you have an email account configured in the Mail application, are you using the iPhoto Email function, or are you trying to attach a photo to a webmail service like Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail?

vanderfun

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
Mac Mail

@vanderfun: This should have been a new thread. That aside, do you have an email account configured in the Mail application, are you using the iPhoto Email function, or are you trying to attach a photo to a webmail service like Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail?
Hi
I am trying to attach to Mac Mail. Cheers
PS: Duh- how does one start a new thread? Can't see a button.

Last edited:

cuevas3

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
My Solution

I do some recommendations that are posted here, but don't fix the problem. And then I try something easy, copy my library in another place, with the program closed, and then I open the program, and new message box appear. What library do you use to open the program? and at this point are the option for Create New Library, I create the New Library and buala!!! the problem is solved. If you want the old picture export then, or maybe you can see it using right click in the old library icon and select Show Package Content.

cuevas3

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
My Solution

I do some recommendations that are posted here, but don't fix the problem. And then I try something easy, copy my library in another place, with the program closed, and then I open the program, and new message box appear. What library do you use to open the program? and at this point are the option for Create New Library, I create the New Library and buala!!! the problem is solved. If you want the old picture export then, or maybe you can see it using right click in the old library icon and select Show Package Content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.