Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:20 AM   #26
SupadudeX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
I, like the first responder, got a Personal Articles policy from my homeowners insurance (State Farm). It costs me $55 per year for a $3000 policy on my rMBP with no deductible. I also had the same policy on my first 15" MBP (for $2000 of coverage, no deductible) I got in 2008.

When the display crapped out I reported it to my insurance company and was paid $650 for the repair (the cost through the Genius Bar). About a year or so later my wife accidentally closed a pen inside of the laptop and damaged the screen again. It also dented the top of the laptop and we also began having issues with the hinge. Apple quoted us $1300 and instead State Farm decided to close out the policy with a $1850 check and told us to buy a new laptop. Hence why I now have a retina. =D
Wow, I'm impressed. That's cheaper than Applecare. Did they increase your rate or deductible for the retina after your previous claim history?
SupadudeX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:58 AM   #27
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupadudeX View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. That's cheaper than Applecare. Did they increase your rate or deductible for the retina after your previous claim history?
My rate went up by about $15 but that was due to the extra $1000 in coverage I had over my previous laptop (I have $3000 on the retina vs $2000 on my old MBP).

State farm was exceptionally nice about it all and we never had a problem. We also had the coverage for about 4 years total so I'm assuming at this point it would be considered a normal usage cycle for the machine.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:32 AM   #28
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmotesta View Post
I for one ONLY purchase items I can afford to replace without needing a warranty/insurance (minus the house and cars).

That is why I had to wait a few years before I could justify a $2500 laptop that did nothing much better than a $750 PC laptop. For me macbook pro was a WANT, a WANT I ONLY wanted to buy when I could truly afford it.

just my .02 cents
Congratulations on that , not sure what your point is I could afford to replace my $2800 rMBP without blinking an eye but that's just dumb math not to buy some sort of insurance rather than $2800. I didn't get to where I'm at with financial security by being dumb with my money.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:31 PM   #29
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
I, like the first responder, got a Personal Articles policy from my homeowners insurance (State Farm). It costs me $55 per year for a $3000 policy on my rMBP with no deductible. I also had the same policy on my first 15" MBP (for $2000 of coverage, no deductible) I got in 2008.
I also have State Farm. I wasn't offered a $0 deductible plan, but I'm in New York and insurance is weird here so maybe it's too expensive for them to offer it. I also was paying about $35/year until last year when they imposed a $60 minimum. That said, filing my claim was very easy. As soon as I realized my laptop was gone (the morning after my flight where I apparently lost it) I filed a claim online and got a call back that same day. I still held out hope of getting my MacBook Air back, but they put the paperwork in place, and 5 days (and a few unsuccessful phone calls to airlines, airports, and the TSA) later, I filed the claim and had my check in hand later that week.

Last edited by KPOM; Jan 2, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:34 PM   #30
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I have very comprehensive homeowners insurance, with a modest deductible. They cover all my Apple gear quite nicely.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:02 PM   #31
SupadudeX
macrumors member

Quote:
My rate went up by about $15 but that was due to the extra $1000 in coverage I had over my previous laptop (I have $3000 on the retina vs $2000 on my old MBP).

State farm was exceptionally nice about it all and we never had a problem. We also had the coverage for about 4 years total so I'm assuming at this point it would be considered a normal usage cycle for the machine.
I did some reading online about this and everything seems to indicate that the state farm personal article policy doesn't cover manufacturer defects. Is this the case? Do you need Applecare in addition to the state farm policy?
SupadudeX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:47 PM   #32
samuelk0814
macrumors member

I would suggest getting a Squaretrade Warranty for three years (w/ accidental protection), BREAK the computer three years later, and then use your check to donate to your least favorite charity.
samuelk0814 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:06 AM   #33
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I did some reading online about this and everything seems to indicate that the state farm personal article policy doesn't cover manufacturer defects. Is this the case? Do you need Applecare in addition to the state farm policy?
I believe this is the case only when the manufacturers warranty is still in effect. I had the display go out randomly and they covered it fully. I would assume this would be considered a manufacturers defect... It is certainly something I could talk to my State Farm agent about.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:09 AM   #34
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
In my case, my credit card doubles the manufacturer's warranty. I figure I'll take my chances in year 3 if I still have it.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:31 AM   #35
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Mine's covered by Amex's UK insurance. 10 a month covers all the phones, laptops and gadgets (like my camera) in the household for any accidental damage/loss/theft, with no excess.

Seemed silly not to.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:52 AM   #36
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I have a personal articles policy from my homeowners insurance company. It is $60/year with a $250 deductible. It covers theft, loss, and accidental damage. It came in handy earlier this month when I lost my MacBook Air while traveling.
+1, I just had to send my insurance co, a copy of my receipt, and they will cover the units with $100 deductible, for just about anything, but they use a formula from purchase price to replacement cost, however since MBP and MBA run the same just about every year, they said they will cover it 100%.

Nothing out there compares, I shopped around, however if you are not the policy holder, they will have to do this for you (like your parents) spouse etc.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro