Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Shutting down is still slow. Safari crashes couple of times per day. And the rest is pretty fast and stable :)

clientsiman

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
Crete,Greece
I have had zero problems with ML. The real problem for me is that it's a very minor upgrade, as I don't use the iOS staff that Apple have added.

I guess Ubuntu is much more fun to play with, now that runs Steam.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
It's 2010 version.

The only two resolutions I have seen is either using the rebuild the box option or deleting the account and re-input everything.

That problem you have has been around forever. People have complained about it including on snow leopard.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I have had zero problems with ML. The real problem for me is that it's a very minor upgrade, as I don't use the iOS staff that Apple have added.

I guess Ubuntu is much more fun to play with, now that runs Steam.

Ubuntu has sucked ever since Gnome changed into the most bizarre unfriendly interface ever made. I suppose Kubuntu might be better, but it's not well supported. I have OpenSuse installed on a computer and it's not bad, but Steam doesn't support it thus far.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Having installed ML on a MBP with a 2.4gHz C2D, and reverted to SL, I'm curious what made you feel this way?

Perhaps my 8GB RAM made the difference.

Generally I found most operations and applications (including virtual machines, which I use heavily) to be, subjectively, 10-15% faster. I attributed it to better use of the ample RAM that machine has. YMMV.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Perhaps my 8GB RAM made the difference.

Generally I found most operations and applications (including virtual machines, which I use heavily) to be, subjectively, 10-15% faster. I attributed it to better use of the ample RAM that machine has. YMMV.

I also have 8gb RAM in my machine. I agree that, once it was up and running, it ran at least as fast as on SL, maybe faster.

Hoping that 10.8.3 may address the sluggish open/close, if so, I'll be reinstalling ML.

farbRausch

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I'm using a mac since Tiger and always enjoyed new Mac OS releases. But looking back I have to admit, that Lion and Mountain Lion just suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about FB integration, Launch Pad and all that stuff that I don't need/use. But: Safari&Finder crashes on a regular basis. This is an absolute deal breaker. Also my impression is that the apple applications tend to be more and more unstable since. For example I'm using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Aperture, Mathematica, TeXShop, XCode, Pages, OpenOffice, Parallels and what not. And I've never seen Chrome, Firefox, OO or Mathematica crash... :rolleyes:
Mac OS still has the best user experience, so I don't consider switching or something. It just hurts a bit, seeing Macs become unstable...

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place

I've read about some of the stuff in that article like the Copy Issues and Disk Utility. To somewhat get around that I installed ML on a separate disk.

I gotta admit that after setting Total Spaces, SideEffects and using those fancy Terminal tricks it does seem kinda like SL. Most of the applications I run on a regular basis seem to work without any issues, except for FCP7 which for some reason defaults everything I was working on to 200%.

There were some pretty big issues, Mail kept failing to update, minimum ram usage doubled, I get this weird "Shutdown Failed because of gamed" message, games seem to stutter a bit more now and then, and a ton of other stuff. I also don't like how Text Edit can't be used for everything anymore.

I'll wait and see what 10.8.3 brings before bothering anymore with it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'm using a mac since Tiger and always enjoyed new Mac OS releases. But looking back I have to admit, that Lion and Mountain Lion just suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about FB integration, Launch Pad and all that stuff that I don't need/use. But: Safari&Finder crashes on a regular basis. This is an absolute deal breaker.

It's not a deal breaker for me considering I avoid Safari like the plague (inferior to Firefox, IMO and what happens when the OS moves on and Safari updates aren't provided for your older OS install like with Snow Leopard right now? You consider Safari crashing a deal breaker, but your stuck with an older more vulnerable Safari in Snow Leopard with no upgrade path what-so-ever except to upgrade the entire OS with it. Hence, I use Firefox regardless.

I've never had Finder crash in Mountain Lion here yet and XtraFinder (whether in Snow Leopard or in Mountain Lion) is just freaking AWESOME. Finally, I get dual-pane window options or automatic separate pane alignment at a mouse click plus tabs and other options. Finder is SO much more pleasant now.

Also my impression is that the apple applications tend to be more and more unstable since. For example I'm using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Aperture, Mathematica, TeXShop, XCode, Pages, OpenOffice, Parallels and what not. And I've never seen Chrome, Firefox, OO or Mathematica crash... :rolleyes:
Mac OS still has the best user experience, so I don't consider switching or something. It just hurts a bit, seeing Macs become unstable...

I've yet to get a single kernel panic in Mountain Lion (can't say that for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard) and the only Apple program that has crashed on me has been Archive (The "appleevents" process has to be forcibly killed to get it working again for some reason; I've reported the bug to Apple but I'm not holding my breath)

I just installed Mountain Lion on my 2008 Macbook Pro with 8600M GT graphics last night. I'm still reorganizing and cleaning out old PPC stuff and what not, but it does seem a little less responsive in drawing OS-level "eye candy" than Snow Leopard (just the opposite on my new Mac Mini quad-core; it's like lightning), but then Snow Leoapard had less eye candy to draw. I'll have to see how it goes on that machine, but on my Mini it's been simply excellent (other than having to replace Apple's SMB with Samba3 to get XBMC networking to work reliably again since its AFP is unreliable and it doesn't work with Apple's implementation correctly, but SMBUp made short work of that).

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
In terms of overall speed and efficiency on the same older hardware (i.e. 2008 Macbook Pro with the Nvidia 8600M GT and 4GB ram), I'm seeing mixed results using XBench.

CPU efficiency, Memory efficiency, Disk handling efficiency and Quartz (2D) graphics all seem to be steadily improved in Mountain Lion over Snow Leopard here, but User Interface (window drawing/movement/text rendering, etc.) went down almost 20% (and that was down even further from Leopard) and OpenGL (3D graphics rendering) took a nose dive by almost 40% according to XBench. I realize XBench is out of date, but it still runs the same routines OS to OS version. The interface does feel a bit slower overall to me, but then ML runs more eye candy effects overall as well (certainly slower than my new Mac Mini but that's to be expected)

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I took my Mac Pro 4,1 from SL to Mountain Lion a few months ago, and I have had a few 'nagging' issues:

1. The screen saver doesn't work. I have searched for and tried several solution, and it seems to fix it for about a day. It has gotten so bad that I now just use a hot corner to force the screen saver on.

2. Bad integration with earlier versions of Iphone. I have Iphoto 2009, and I cannot access the photos from exteral applicaitons from finder. I have to manual photos to a seperate directory outside of the Iphoto database to access them.

3. Swipe to access notifications seems to work about 1/3 of the time.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I took my Mac Pro 4,1 from SL to Mountain Lion a few months ago, and I have had a few 'nagging' issues:

1. The screen saver doesn't work. I have searched for and tried several solution, and it seems to fix it for about a day. It has gotten so bad that I now just use a hot corner to force the screen saver on.

Same Pro model here and I couldn't get screensaver to work either.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA

In my opinion, this is a poorly written article, because it doesn't give hardly any backup to what it says… it's basically some one stating their opinion on how they feel about Apple. Such as saying that "Finder damages the system, and can't do useful things it ought to do" without providing any kind of justification to that. If Finder damages a system it will most likely be from user error IMO :p

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm using a mac since Tiger and always enjoyed new Mac OS releases. But looking back I have to admit, that Lion and Mountain Lion just suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about FB integration, Launch Pad and all that stuff that I don't need/use. But: Safari&Finder crashes on a regular basis. This is an absolute deal breaker. Also my impression is that the apple applications tend to be more and more unstable since.
And have you investigated the cause of these crashes? You're sure it's a direct result of "something bad" in Mountain Lion? I haven't had any crashes on my two Macs running ML and one running Lion. If ML were generally crashing Apple apps, I think there would be a lot of posts about it.

Computers can crash for all sorts of reasons -- faulty hardware, out-of-date third-party software, incorrectly configured settings.

Have you tested a brand new user account? If you don't get the problem there, then you know that Mountain Lion isn't to blame.

Personally, I really like ML. There are still some bugs, sure; and I want to see them fixed. I don't use the social media integration (which doesn't consume system resources regardless, as some have fretted), but I do like Auto-Save, Resume, Versions, Notes, Reminders, Notifications, AirDrop, and some of the little touches like improved copying in the Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.