Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinmyshoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
For a new fresh install of Lion Sever in what order should you do the following;

Certificates
Opendirectory
DNS

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If you're sure you need an Open Directory server, then go through the steps of setting up the Open Directory as shown here: (these are for Mountain Lion but the process is similar enough.)
http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/setting-up-an-open-directory-master-in-os-x-mountain-lion-server/

If your machine supports it, I'd use Mountain Lion over Lion Server. Lion Server is rather half baked, caught between the old style Admin tools from earlier OS X Server versions, and the newer one. ML just works better.

rockinmyshoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
If you're sure you need an Open Directory server,

If your machine supports it, I'd use Mountain Lion over Lion Server. Lion Server is rather half baked, caught between the old style Admin tools from earlier OS X Server versions, and the newer one. ML just works better.

Thanks for the reply. As for the need for OD I don't really know. The server is a test(learning) in VMware and is being run as local. I don't have a directory server existing on my home LAN.

You made an additional point on MLS. Is it easier to use? I heard the adding of Web sites can be a challenge. But if it has more easier functionality I'm running a i5 mini with 8gb ram.

I'm trying to create a server for a group of people that attended some language classes I was in. So to have a Web site and a Wiki

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm trying to create a server for a group of people that attended some language classes I was in. So to have a Web site and a Wiki

If you're just going to be doing web services and a Wiki for a small group of users, Open Directory probably isn't worth the trouble. Also note that to run an Open Directory Master, you need more than one CPU core, so it might run rather poorly in VMWare on your 2 core i5 Mini.
I'd still use Mountain Lion over Lion's server.

rockinmyshoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
If you're just going to be doing web services and a Wiki for a small group of users, Open Directory probably isn't worth the trouble. Also note that to run an Open Directory Master, you need more than one CPU core, so it might run rather poorly in VMWare on your 2 core i5 Mini.
I'd still use Mountain Lion over Lion's server.

I'm looking at max 20 user accounts, at most one or two logged in at a time. I would post/share audio files of words and phrases in the language. Users could login, download, possibly in the future upload files and edit the wiki.

So I could get by with out Open Directory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.