Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
luisito
macrumors regular

How good is the retina iPad vs the iPad mini for ebooks? +Notetaking

Hello folks!

I would like to ask you which iPad is the most efficient to use for ebooks (pdf engineering books).

I've been fighting technology for the past 4 years of my career and finally realized that the weight of an iPad will never compare with that of a backpack full of Engineering books, so I am ready to give it a try!

If you have experience with this, I will appreciate your input. I've never used an iPad, nor owned any Apple products.

Please base your response with the following (since one device may have features the other does not): Not for gaming, movies, music, facebook; Yes to email; Strictly for reading, A LOT of reading and possible note-taking.

I have also considered using it to replace my paper and pen, would it work? This gets me excited.

Since I know I will be investing on a fine product, I do not mind the price difference btw the iPad vs the mini, I am simply looking for what works best for the task.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Piccio
macrumors member

Absolutely the regular size iPad, the Retina display for reading is a pleasure.

You look disoriented, go to apple.com in the iPad section
Piccio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:04 AM   #3
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Where to start? I use the iPad for my notetaking (handwriting and typing), recording, photographs, emailing, web surfing, research, reading, etc. Please Google around a bit, because there is a lot you will need to know about the devices and what you want before we can help much. I'd say the iPad 4 is the safe choice, but if weight and size are the most important for you, then the Mini.
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:30 AM   #4
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

I use my ipad4 for science books, amazing text and diagrams. beautiful. Great for PDFs and PPT lectures.

As far as note taking I do it old school style with my ipad on the side.
luqtotheman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:18 AM   #5
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

I haven't tried using mine for note taking yet, but it's something I would like to do (haven't decided on a stylus) since I would also like to eliminate using paper whenever possible.

Uh, it's ok for casual email I guess, but I don't think it's as robust as desktop counterparts. You didn't mention web browsing, but I actually feel that it's an inferior experience compared to desktops primarily because of the lack of ad control (or rather, easy ad control) and that's something to consider, although this obviously depends on your browsing habits.

As for reading, I can't stand reading stuff for prolonged periods of time on my computer, but I love doing it on my iPad. It's also great for annotating PDFs, and I imagine it's fantastic for reducing the need to carry around big and heavy books.

Outside of a real book, iPads (and I guess e-readers in general) are the only electronic devices I don't mind reading for prolonged periods of time.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad