Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:32 PM   #51
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitive View Post
so how do i use the cmyk feature and save jpegs to cmyk? i tried through view > generic or ps5 cmyk and then saved as jpeg, but it opens as rgb in photoshop cs4.
JPEG does not support CMYK. Only RGB/YUV. YUV is the internal color space in the JPEG-format. Use the TIFF or EPS-format, if you need CMYK support.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:26 PM   #52
r.harris1
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Yup. What's up with the Adobe hate amongst the hardcore Apple crowd? Ole Steve got into a spat with them over Flash, and now suddenly whole loads of people have been programmed to think of them as "The Enemy".

...why?
Not sure everyone who wants an Adobe-free system thinks of them as the enemy. My photo-workflow is entirely Adobe-free but that's because I use several RAW processors (depending on what I'm doing) and don't do a lot of heavy image processing except for sharpening, contrast, etc. Nothing that one of my existing programs or plugins can't handle.

I find Adobe's software to be bloated and overkill, given what I do with images. Functionality-wise, Adobe is hard to beat in one package, but I have been glad to find alternatives out there, and Pixelmator holds a lot of promise (and works great even now).
r.harris1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:49 PM   #53
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.harris1 View Post
Snip
That's an entirely justifiable reason to be "adobe free". You're right, Photoshop and Illustrator are overkill for most people, and there are plenty of great alternatives that'd serve them just as well. I've only barely played with Pixelmator, but looking at the feature sheet shows me it covers just about everything your average photographer would need out of PS. Why buy it when you can get something that's just as good for you for far, far less?

My issue is with the people who started hating Adobe around the time the Flash debacle started. That smacks of stupid internet tribal BS to me.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:42 AM   #54
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Some of the remarks make it seem like it has to be an either/or between Pixelmator and PhotoShop, why not use both? They're tools. I can't see only having one kind of saw or screwdriver...

Pixelmator is terrific and only $30, it's not a life and death situation like paying $700 for Photoshop would be to me.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #55
4D4M
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yup. What's up with the Adobe hate amongst the hardcore Apple crowd? Ole Steve got into a spat with them over Flash, and now suddenly whole loads of people have been programmed to think of them as "The Enemy".

...why?
For me it has nothing to do with the Flash problem. As a veteran user I can concede that nothing out there can touch Adobe CS for power, features and all-round capability. But I find the frequent crashing and bugs that persist through successive versions completely unacceptable in software that costs this much.

They should spend more time fixing this instead of adding limited interest bloat like video editing to Photoshop.

I'm not too happy about their attempt to push everyone onto a subscription model either. Plain greedy.
4D4M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:28 PM   #56
Murgatroyd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffy View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately it's EPS export that I need
GraphicConverter is shareware. Save As … to almost any file format.

Yup. Great app. **
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:59 PM   #57
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Pixelmator has been pretty outstanding for me. Stable, feature rich for my needs, which are mostly mild photo editing and some graphic design for application/web icons/widgets/UI elements.

I scored it when it was $14.95, and for _that_ price, it's an incredible value. Good too see the developer is still pushing some major updates out too.

D.T. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:49 AM   #58
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
GraphicConverter is shareware. Save As … to almost any file format.
Thanks. As it turns out, Sketch exports to EPS natively. And it has a demo version. Doesn't support native CMYK colour space though
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:05 AM   #59
wikus
Banned

Long overdue feature, but it still won't replace Photoshop in any design studio.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:44 AM   #60
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D4M View Post
For me it has nothing to do with the Flash problem. As a veteran user I can concede that nothing out there can touch Adobe CS for power, features and all-round capability. But I find the frequent crashing and bugs that persist through successive versions completely unacceptable in software that costs this much.

They should spend more time fixing this instead of adding limited interest bloat like video editing to Photoshop.
Yeah, PS has gotten a little bloated over the years, and it does install far more than what I generally need, but one thing I can't say is that it's buggy or crashy. It's always been a solid, reliable piece of software for me. I think I've seen it crash all of twice over the years I've been using it.

Then again, if you're a professional user, you might be pushing it a little harder than I am. I can get pretty complicated with my layer stacks, but I usually only deal with resolutions between 1024x - 2048x, and never touch CMYK.

Quote:
I'm not too happy about their attempt to push everyone onto a subscription model either. Plain greedy.
Everyone's doing that these days. I don't like it either. : \
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:29 PM   #61
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
Give us non destructive layer styles, adjustment styles, and I'll switch tomorrow.
This is basically the only thing Pixelmator is lacking. The developers surely have to be working on it (it's taking them a while, though).
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:48 PM   #62
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Long overdue feature, but it still won't replace Photoshop in any design studio.
Larger studios tend to be very conservative on software. They use what they know. They test upgrades prior to installing them on everything. It would be potentially very disruptive moving away from Adobe.

Quote:
]

Everyone's doing that these days. I don't like it either. : \
They learned from autodesk. Well Autodesk and some of the others are a little different. It's still whatever purchase cost, and an annual subscription fee is added to that to keep whatever software up to date and upgrade eligible. Adobe's subscription fees are kind of high if you have already own licenses from prior versions. It used to be that you had up to 3 versions to upgrade. If it was a bad release, you could skip it. Currently the annual fee for a given application is more than it used to cost upgrading every version. I kind of wonder if they'll back off on it a bit.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:06 PM   #63
stevelam
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by extricated View Post
I've wondered about picking it up. CMYK support is great to hear.
Does anyone else out there think it's a viable alternative to Photoshop?
no non destructive layer styles? definitely not.
stevelam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:27 AM   #64
Anonymouse106
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam View Post
no non destructive layer styles? definitely not.
Bring on the non destructive layer styles!

I really just need drop shadows and some effects to make text jump off of the background. This takes forever to do without layer styles.
Anonymouse106 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:30 AM   #65
stevelam
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse106 View Post

I really just need drop shadows and some effects to make text jump off of the background. This takes forever to do without layer styles.
yep pretty much. the thing is, pixelmator is supposed to be this simplified photo/graphics editing program but its actually really bad at doing the actual simple things (like editable drop shadows etc)
stevelam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:11 PM   #66
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse106 View Post

Oh crud, I have a Drop Shadow quartz filter in Effects, it was easy & adjustable. Just tried it out and it doesn't work any longer. Well, fingers crossed, perhaps it's back in the next update. Not too big a deal for me at this time, using an extra layer -blurred.

--------

I used Quartz Composer/Parameters to delete the Preview icon and the drop shadow plug-in works as it should again. Went through a bunch of third-party quartz filters recently to delete the preview icons and they are all working properly now.

Last edited by CrickettGrrrl; May 10, 2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Update.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:10 AM   #67
hestroy
macrumors member

Quote:

...why?
Because of their greedy price policy? Because they want thousands of USD every year for nothing but compatibility?
hestroy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:09 AM   #68
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hestroy View Post
Because of their greedy price policy? Because they want thousands of USD every year for nothing but compatibility?
Fair enough, but I hope you realize you're replying to a post made long before the mandatory Creative Cloud announcement.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion