Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Specifically, connecting an iPhone 2G to a current version of iTunes will simply turn it into a iPod rather than starting the plan activation process. There's some speculation that running an older version of iTunes will allow for activation of the old 2G plan, but I don't know if anybody has tried yet.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Specifically, connecting an iPhone 2G to a current version of iTunes will simply turn it into a iPod rather than starting the plan activation process. There's some speculation that running an older version of iTunes will allow for activation of the old 2G plan, but I don't know if anybody has tried yet.

No, no matter what you do it doesnt work any more.
AT&T disabled it over a year ago.
Now all it does is activate the phone just like all other iphones without selecting your minute and data plan like it did before.
Party is over.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
Actually it still does work.

Yesterday my sister traded her iPhone 2G for my old 4. We are on the same family plan. She had the old $20 unlimited plan w/200 texts. (When we activated the 2G at the time, it was a pain to get the old plan. The guy in the AT&T store had to call further up the CS ladder to get it. But we eventually got it.)

I cut her SIM card down to fit the 4. She restored from backup and everything's fine. Today I check my account and she is on the $30 unlimited data plan now. She did get a text message about it. Tada!

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
So what you're saying is your sister already had the unlimited plan and just upgraded to your used 4? This is nothing new for her to keep her unlimited.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
So what you're saying is your sister already had the unlimited plan and just upgraded to your used 4? This is nothing new for her to keep her unlimited.

+1

This is different then someone being on a tiered plan and wanting to add unlimited.

The activation process, no matter the version of iTunes you use, will fail to activate the original iPhone. When you contact AT&T they'll only offer the tiered data plans.

If you want unlimited data I would look to tmobile or sprint if they have coverage in your area.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane

I guess the important thing is that we activated the 2G while unlimited data was unavailable for new customers. She did this in an at&t store, not through itunes.

So couldn't one buy a used 2G, take it to the at&t store for them to activate (getting the old $20 unlimited plan in the process) then transfer your sim to a new iphone? I guess it depends on if the rep is willing to get the plan for you.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
thanks... brah.

just so everyone is aware though, if you know a css that will put the old unlimited plan on the 2G, it will carry though when you change phones.

if they're offering tiered plans now when you bring them a 2G, no dice. what's weird is my sister got it after unlimited data was unavailable. the at&t store rep had to call a few levels up but they did it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.