Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
About 3 months ago I started having problems with my Apple TV. HDCP playback errors when viewing Netflix.

I have restored it twice. Installed all updates. Nothing fixes it but recently the problem is more consistent. After about 3 mins of viewing anything it pauses then gives me the error. If I yank out the power cable then plug it back in and reboot the ATV , then restart what I was watching it goes away for a few hours.

I have tried any suggestions I found on the Apple forums. Nothing fixes it.

Is there anything else I can try? I would even be willing to get a new TV/cable if I was 100% sure it would solve the issue.

Thanks.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
About 3 months ago I started having problems with my Apple TV. HDCP playback errors when viewing Netflix.

I have restored it twice. Installed all updates. Nothing fixes it but recently the problem is more consistent. After about 3 mins of viewing anything it pauses then gives me the error. If I yank out the power cable then plug it back in and reboot the ATV , then restart what I was watching it goes away for a few hours.

I have tried any suggestions I found on the Apple forums. Nothing fixes it.

Is there anything else I can try? I would even be willing to get a new TV/cable if I was 100% sure it would solve the issue.

Thanks.
Can't you borrow someone's HDMI cable? Or, buy a cheap one somewhere and try it. If it works problem solved. If it doesn't work, return it.

grodgers

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Can't you borrow someone's HDMI cable? Or, buy a cheap one somewhere and try it. If it works problem solved. If it doesn't work, return it.

+1 - HDMI Cable. No, you don't need (or want) a Monster cable either.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Looking around I see that all HDMI cables are HDCP capable and other than the very remote possibility that the HDMI cable is bad , a different cable will not solve the issue. I will try it , but I dont have my hopes up.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Looking around I see that all HDMI cables are HDCP capable and other than the very remote possibility that the HDMI cable is bad , a different cable will not solve the issue. I will try it , but I dont have my hopes up.
I think that is exactly what we are hoping...a bad cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.