Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Acorn
macrumors 68020

How is your iPad 1 battery?

Im having terrible luck with my ipad 1 battery. It goes from a complete charge overnight to completely dead.

Ive shut off bluetooth, notifications, cellular, location services, and brightness is at 35%.

still my battery sucks bad. Do I have bad luck with batteries or how is everyone elses ipad doing with battery life?

if its not 100% off it dies in one night. it really sucks having to wait from a cold boot every time to keep it from dying.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

I don't have a first gen to compare, but I would certainly restore your iPad in iTunes if you haven't already. There are often battery issues related to OS problems or app problems that can seem to arise out of no where.

Good luck!

Last edited by ZZ Bottom; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
Im having terrible luck with my ipad 1 battery. It goes from a complete charge overnight to completely dead.

Ive shut off bluetooth, notifications, cellular, location services, and brightness is at 35%.

still my battery sucks bad. Do I have bad luck with batteries or how is everyone elses ipad doing with battery life?

if its not 100% off it dies in one night. it really sucks having to wait from a cold boot every time to keep it from dying.
Well, you probably have 100s and 100s of cycles on that battery. It probably has a very reduced capacity. Give it a restore, but after that, there's probably not much else you can do.
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:35 AM   #4
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

is there an exchange program where u can opt in for a refurbished one?
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:47 AM   #5
lokster
macrumors 6502

thats wrong, a 100% battery should last 2 days, with mild usage. is your ipad jailbroken? it could be a tweak messing with the battery, try restoring and not jailbreak it
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
is there an exchange program where u can opt in for a refurbished one?
Yes. You can exchange for $99.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

I've used my iPad 1 constantly and consistently since the week it came out, and battery life is nearly as good as the day I bought it. Something is definitely wrong with yours.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeem View Post
I've used my iPad 1 constantly and consistently since the week it came out, and battery life is nearly as good as the day I bought it. Something is definitely wrong with yours.
Either that are they have used their iPad a lot more than you have used yours and have charged the battery more times. In either case getting the battery service at Apple will give him a refurbished iPad with a new battery.

The only decision to be made really is to spend the money for the battery service or to put it towards a new iPad.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:13 AM   #9
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Either that are they have used their iPad a lot more than you have used yours and have charged the battery more times. In either case getting the battery service at Apple will give him a refurbished iPad with a new battery.

The only decision to be made really is to spend the money for the battery service or to put it towards a new iPad.
The battery is rated for 1,000 charge cycles, after which it drops to 80% of capacity. That would require a full discharge and recharge nearly every day for three years. And you'd still have 5-6 hours of battery life per charge. What the OP is describing is battery failure.
poloponies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:53 AM   #10
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I bought my iPad 1 on day one and it still gets used daily by my son. It still has great battery life.
PBG4 Dude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Acorn
macrumors 68020

hmm dam thanks guys. well maybe I will use that battery trade in program thing. I will have to think on it.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Duffinator
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Same here. While maybe not as good as new it's close. Charged almost daily.
Duffinator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
i486dx2-66
macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this resolved, Acorn?

I'll chime in with another data point. I have an iPad 1 that I purchased just two months after they were released in 2010, and the battery life is still fantastic. I don't use it quite as regularly now that I have an iPad 3, but with the wifi on and cellular off, it goes forever on standby. Weeks and weeks and weeks. It goes so long that I forget to charge it, and that isn't a problem, because the battery life is so good.

So I would agree with everyone else - there's definitely something wrong. Either something is preventing your iPad from powering down enough in standby mode, or there is something wrong with the battery.
i486dx2-66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:27 PM   #14
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
That's a very reasonable charge from Apple for this service.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:25 AM   #15
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

That's terrible... we've still got a first-gen iPad here (from 2010) and it's still used regularly - and it's got great battery life.

There's definitely something wrong with one (or multiple) batteries inside your iPad.
ThatsMeRight is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:53 AM   #16
gekkota
macrumors member

I've used my iPad 1 on a daily basis since the day it was released and I haven't noticed any change in battery life at all. I'd keep it forever except for the constant crashing issue...waiting for iPad 5!
gekkota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
fullauto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
i've used my ipad 1 on a daily basis since the day it was released and i haven't noticed any change in battery life at all. I'd keep it forever except for the constant crashing issue...waiting for ipad 5!
+1
fullauto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

I used my iPad every day from May 2010 until last week. It was used every day and charged every night. Most days I made it all day on the charge. Battery degradation, not really. Now my 10-year-old daughter is using it. She makes if farther on a battery than I did.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad