Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #51
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

While I enjoyed the first rendition of the game and like the theme, concept, and gameplay, am I the only one who found it particularly easy? I'm not much of a gamer (even casual games) yet I didn't really struggle with any level.

I felt it was lacking in the area of strategy. Most of the unique plants were either one-time use or could be completely ignored. I'd prefer something a little less prescribed. After awhile I felt as if I wasn't really doing anything; just tapping my way through a predetermined "story", for lack of a better word.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Agree IAP was a horrible development BUT it was a direct result of the race to the bottom pricing of early apps. If iDevice users had supported apps at the $5-10 level we probably never would have seen IAP or "Freemium" become so big. Developers have to make a profit one way or another. It's not their fault consumers are so ignorant that they's rather pay $20 a game in $.99 increments rather than $10 in one lump sum.
I partly agree with you; however, it is more than clear that developers CAN be successful when good apps demand higher prices - evidence is easily out there for great apps like the original P vs. Z, the Avernum RPG series and so on.

You cannot disregard a simple fact: with Apple's relatively lax IAP policy, developers DID decide instead for the easier route of disguised/misleading IAPs as well as those criminal "intermission-like" ads with tiny buttons that are as difficult to press as those normally displayed on shady, buck-starved pron sites.

My simple suggestion to Apple: PLEASE enable us consumers to search for apps WITHOUT IAPs - make it a very easy search parameter for people to use. Because I am tired of downloading an app, paid or free, just to find out later that these irritating "freemium" options are out there.

I am more than willing to pay money for a good app - just don't make me/push me to spend 100 dollars on a stupid "bucket of coins". Developers ARE in bad faith here and they should just admit it. Not to mention that marginal costs in software are close to ZERO once the main development investment is amortized.

In summary, this is capitalism at its worst; the one where imperfect market information prevails.
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:13 PM   #53
jerkoff
macrumors newbie

The first Plants vs. Zombies made untold millions. How did PopCap (recently acquired by EA) reward its creator and lead designer George Fan? They laid him off to cut costs.

I'm not going to play this game. There's no joy in it.
jerkoff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:40 PM   #54
ric275
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
I'm so bummed. The sequel to my favorite iOS game ever is going to be an EA-style freemium nightmare.
I completely agree...
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:33 AM   #55
Fed
macrumors 6502

When will they optimise the original for iphone 5?

Infuriating.
Fed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:34 AM   #56
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
When will they optimise the original for iphone 5?

Infuriating.
2nd of Never.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:39 AM   #57
Fed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
2nd of Never.
Such a shame. It's one of the few games I like(d) playing.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:38 AM   #58
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxTraxx View Post
Can we just pay for the damn game without worrying about in-game purchases?
Tooooootally agree. I hate this trend and don't pay for add-ons to games (save for actual stand alone retail expansion packs).
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:00 AM   #59
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

I have 9,999,990 coins in PvZ. Can I use these to upgrade to an unlocked version of PvZ2 ?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleromeo View Post
I have 9,999,990 coins in PvZ. Can I use these to upgrade to an unlocked version of PvZ2 ?
You should ask EA and see whether this is equal to a "bucket of coins"...
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:29 PM   #61
HCO
macrumors regular

i can't find the game in the app store
HCO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:49 PM   #62
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO View Post
Hint: Title of thread
fraggot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:12 PM   #63
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO View Post

Really?

I played it and its da awesome
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #64
adnbek
macrumors 6502a

I posted an earlier comment before the game was released. Now that I've had a chance to try it out, I must say I'm disappointed. The IAP alone aren't the only annoyance. The game just doesn't have the same charm as the original. Since none of the original folk who worked on the first game were involved in this one, the difference is quite noticeable:

The music is blah. I LOVED the music in the first game. This one, I'd rather turn the sound off as the music is just bland. None of the new tunes are catchy or enjoyable to listen to. The voices, same deal. The zombie voices are ear-piercingly annoying. I don't like using the power ups. I find them little-more than cheats and makes the game too easy.

And finally, the only annoying aspect of the IAP is that you can't take the slow route and use your coins to unlock things. They should've done like in Real Racing 2 where you're given the choice of either unlocking right away with real money or taking the slow route and use in-game currency instead. Here, you're not given the choice. You HAVE to use money instead, rendering the in-game currency worthless. (except to buying power ups which I'd rather not use anyway) You aren't given a choice. Perhaps this would be addressed in a future update where you're given a choice between paying with real money or in-game currency, but I doubt it.

I've yet to reach the point of needing to collect many stars to unlock the next stage but I read about it here and that just seems like an artificial way of making the game drag on.... and I'm already bored as it is. I can't imagine how boring it'll get if I'm forced to repeat a level several times.

So, while I was right about reserving judgement till the game came out (I kinda had hope since RR2 is actually a good game despite the IAP), not anymore. This game sucks and I'm incredibly disappointed.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:42 PM   #65
egoistaxx9
macrumors 6502

i dont like in-game purchases, they should have put a price tag on it.
egoistaxx9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:46 PM   #66
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

ahahaha....i love the trailer, i'm definitely downloadin' it.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:56 PM   #67
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

finally, the wait is over. i love this amazing game. the idea is really new, different and great.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:37 PM   #68
It Is James
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
I'm so bummed. The sequel to my favorite iOS game ever is going to be an EA-style freemium nightmare.
Yeah, gotta love EA, right? I'd much rather pay an upfront free and avoid all the IAPs. But, that's EA for you.

By the way, I'm pretty sure it's already out in the Australian and New Zealand App Store.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:05 AM   #69
Pompiliu
Banned

Well... It's July 18.
Where is it?

Pompiliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #70
nihl
macrumors newbie

The release has been postponed for later this summer.
That's what they keep saying on Twitter.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:28 AM   #71
enigma2118
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiliu View Post
Well... It's July 18.
Where is it?

Bummed it wasn't released. Dejected I came here for some updates. At least this made the day okay. Thanks.
enigma2118 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion