Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I little problem here I wondering if you guys know what is the best practice for audio.

On HB audio tab I've selected 2 tracks:
1. english coded AC3 ffmpeg - 6 channel discrete, auto, 640;
2. portuguese coded AC3 ffmpeg - 6 channel discrete, auto, 640;

I got no audio on both iTunes or ATV.

I was using AAC (coreAudio) before but I got no audio on the subwoofer. That's why I was trying AC3.

What will be your advice for audio setup on HB?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 10.48.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 10.48.38 AM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 86

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I little problem here I wondering if you guys know what is the best practice for audio.

On HB audio tab I've selected 2 tracks:
1. english coded AC3 ffmpeg - 6 channel discrete, auto, 640;
2. portuguese coded AC3 ffmpeg - 6 channel discrete, auto, 640;

I got no audio on both iTunes or ATV.

I was using AAC (coreAudio) before but I got no audio on the subwoofer. That's why I was trying AC3.

What will be your advice for audio setup on HB?
What is your source audio Dolby Digital or DTS?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
make sure you have an aac track of your primary language before the AC3 track of he same lang as the hb preset does it by default. After that add any additional track you want. The AppleTV expects the aac + AC3 tracks of your primary language.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
make sure you have an aac track of your primary language before the AC3 track of he same lang as the hb preset does it by default. After that add any additional track you want. The AppleTV expects the aac + AC3 tracks of your primary language.
Would that explain no audio in iTunes?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Would that explain no audio in iTunes?

Yep.

As well realize that the AAC DPL2 track is 5.0 not 5.1 due to phasing issues as per Dolby. If there is nothing from the subwoofer in a 5.1 speaker setup and you know you are using the aac track (presuming that your amp hooked up to the atv cannot pass thru AC3) you might want to raise the crossover point of the sub so it picks up the lows as there is no dedicated LFE channel.

Edit: Well actually you can playback AC3 in iTunes as long as you have your mac connected optically to a AC3 DD 5.1 capable device (much like the atv). However just normally through the macs speakers you get ... nothing. That is where the aac dpl2 track comes in.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/playing-back-movies-with-ac3-audio-in-itunes/

Last edited:

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Yep.

As well realize that the AAC DPL2 track is 5.0 not 5.1 due to phasing issues as per Dolby. If there is nothing from the subwoofer in a 5.1 speaker setup and you know you are using the aac track (presuming that your amp hooked up to the atv cannot pass thru AC3) you might want to raise the crossover point of the sub so it picks up the lows as there is no dedicated LFE channel.

Edit: Well actually you can playback AC3 in iTunes as long as you have your mac connected optically to a AC3 DD 5.1 capable device (much like the atv). However just normally through the macs speakers you get ... nothing. That is where the aac dpl2 track comes in.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/playing-back-movies-with-ac3-audio-in-itunes/

That worked. Got a chapter with AAC for primary track and AC3 the other and now both play just ok on iTunes and ATV 3.

Now just to be very clear, if I want to have english and portuguese audio (5.1) , I will have to have 3 audio tracks as below?
1. AAC for english primary (5.0)
2. AC3 for english (5.1)
3. AC3 for Portuguese (5.1)

Another question is: I'm in general using Mixdown set to 6-channel discrete. Is that ok or I should use Dolby Pro Logic II?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The aac track should be DPL2. The appletv borks 6 channel discreet aac into a weird 3.0 mix.

Again refer to the presets stock setup which mirrors (and in fact was reverse engineered from) the iTunes movie audio setup.

1. aac dpl2
2. AC3 6 channel (5.1)
3 +.... any alternative audio tracks you may want.

The atv will default to the first two sensing which to use based on what it detects from the optical out as far as your sound system. Alternative track beyond the first two will have to be selected manually from the hud display on the atv interface.

----------

Now just to be very clear, if I want to have english and portuguese audio (5.1) , I will have to have 3 audio tracks as below?
2. AC3 for english (5.1)

Well, the portuguese track will work on the atv provided you are hooked up to an ac3 compatible sound system. But probably not on your mac unless you have it hooked up as per the article I quoted above. If you want to be sure do the same as the first two english tracks with the portuguese track if you want it to work for both.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
That worked. Got a chapter with AAC for primary track and AC3 the other and now both play just ok on iTunes and ATV 3.

2. AC3 for english (5.1)

Another question is: I'm in general using Mixdown set to 6-channel discrete. Is that ok or I should use Dolby Pro Logic II?

Dynaflash,
Forget about last question you already answered. DPL2 is 5.0 not 5.1.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
2. AC3 for english (5.1)
Well, the portuguese track will work on the atv provided you are hooked up to an ac3 compatible sound system. But probably not on your mac unless you have it hooked up as per the article I quoted above. If you want to be sure do the same as the first two english tracks with the portuguese track if you want it to work for both.
To create a perfectly iTunes/iOS-compatible soundtrack, you'd want to encode the tracks as follows:
2. AC3 for english (5.1)
3. AAC for Portuguese (5.0)
4. AC3 for Portuguese (5.1)
This way you will be able to play all available languages on iPhone/iPad/AppleTV and also pass AC3 5.1 through to digital out on AppleTV.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Nope, just updated my key (and version) today by doing the above. When the key expires, you will get a message saying it has expired and you need register your product to continue (and if I remember correctly, you are also provided a purchase button). But honestly, it's worth the purchase price and it's good to support the developer. I was just about ready to purchase it myself and then decided to with streaming instead of ripping. So I keep it up to date, but no longer use it much.

I just downloaded the latest (for the 1st time) version of MakeMKV. Seems to work with asking for a key.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just downloaded the latest (for the 1st time) version of MakeMKV. Seems to work with asking for a key.
Yes, you need the latest key for MakeMKV to work with BR's. But the key is posted on the MakeMKV forum. Just copy and paste it into the program dialog box. It is good for about 30 days (it will tell you when it is expired). Then just go back to the forum and get the new key.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Yes, you need the latest key for MakeMKV to work with BR's. But the key is posted on the MakeMKV forum. Just copy and paste it into the program dialog box. It is good for about 30 days (it will tell you when it is expired). Then just go back to the forum and get the new key.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.