Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gallion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I want to add a second hard drive to my MBP and I would like one that is at least as quiet as the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 that is currently in it. I have tried to find a review of the Hitachi 7K500 where the noise level was also tested, but I could not find one. So I have no idea how much noise my current hard drive makes so I cannot compare with other hard drive reviews. So by experience, what line of hard drive should I look at?

Thanks!

Gallion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Why not get a second Hitachi Travelstar 7K500?

I would like to go for a 750GB and perhaps something that is a bit more power efficient and cool since I'm going to have 2 hard drive running. Being a hard drive that I will use to store files, it does not need to be as fast, so it does not need to be 7,200 RPM. Also I think the one in my laptop is slowly failing, randomly throwing multiple I/O errors now and then. So I'm not sure that it's actually a reliable drive. If it fails I will replace it with a SSD.

Gallion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Well it turns out that the caddy I ordered from iFixit doesn't fit in my MBP. So this answers my question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.