Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Just after some advice please guys. Since owning an iPhone/iPad/ATV I really would like a full blown 27'' iMac badboy! :D but just can't afford one :(

ALways told myself to go for the full iMac experience and save and get the 27'' but my current C2D PC is pretty slow now so looking at the Mac mini.

What are peoples thoughts? Uses will be for my photography mainly for Lightroom then just your usual chrome etc.

Only thing that iam not sure about it how I could be arrange my HDD's , any ideas on this? Maybe some kinda icybox or caddy? Or maybe even the HP server box that keep coming up on HUKD's, and yes iam aware that hopefully the mini will get a refresh tomorrow.

Thoughts?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The mini works pretty well for Photography, but there is one thing to consider: the built in HDD is very slow. So scratchdisk access in Photoshop when you are painting or stamping: waiting, waiting, waiting.
The solution: either mount a SSD (a little challenge), or mount 16Gb RAM (anyone can do it) and run a RAM disk script at boot. I use the latter, and it really eases the work for the internal HD.
For your interest: the built in drive is slower than an external FW400 3,5 inch WD Green drive I use for backup (and those are not the fastest 3,5 inch types as well). So I guess if you boot it from a FW800 caviar black, I think it will work very fast too.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
You can try with....

1- A external FireWire for storage, for the sake of speed
2-Increasing the RAM available to the mini

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks guys. Well hopefully the new mini will ship with 8GB ram at least and USB 3.

I might use my old PC to create a server and put Linux on it...not quite sure yet.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Think Iam goin to get the base model. Will I be able to upgrade to max 16GM ram an add an extra HDD SSD? I guess neither will be a problem.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I do image editing with Photoshop as well as other apps. My main Mac is a 2.3GHz i7 Mini with 16GB RAM and the standard 5400RPM drive.

I have my PS scratch disk on a partition of a 7200RPM external drive connected via Firewire 800. It's a 20GB partition that isn't used for anything else; you can create a suitably-sized scratch disk depending on the size of your image files and the kind of editing that you tend to do.

The external drive is faster than using the internal drive (USB 3.0 should be even faster...), you don't have to deal with fragmentation issues from using the internal and you can use other partitions on the external to create a bootable clone (I prefer SuperDuper! over CarbonCopyCloner and now it's a lot less expensive...) and other uses.

I use Aperture and referenced masters, which means my image files are outside the Aperture library in a typical file structure. I keep the image files on the external drive with a second external drive and CrashPlan as backups. If I'm not mistake Lightroom can be used in the same manner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.