Upgrading White intel iMac processor... 17", 1.83 ghz - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:39 PM   #51
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
One thing to note, a Core2Duo is not needed for the iMac5,1 firmware flash and the firmware flash does not need a Core2Duo.
Didn't know that. I thought a C2D was required. That's important given that the extra grunt of the C2D is not as important as the extra 1.3GB of RAM, IMO. Still required if you want 64-bit OSs and apps, of course. Given how old these things are, I would just leave in the CD if that's the case as I would not feel the expense worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar2194 View Post
Will you check out the two on eBay I linked to above. Most eBay listings don't tell you if it's LGA or BGA.
Notwithstanding the above, they are both look like socket M pin. The second one even advertises at used in an iMac upgrade.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:43 PM   #52
mar2194
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mar2194 Send a message via Skype™ to mar2194
Smile Finally, this time (no really!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Didn't know that. I thought a C2D was required. That's important given that the extra grunt of the C2D is not as important as the extra 1.3GB of RAM, IMO. Still required if you want 64-bit OSs and apps, of course. Given how old these things are, I would just leave in the CD if that's the case as I would not feel the expense worth it.

Notwithstanding the above, they are both look like socket M pin. The second one even advertises at used in an iMac upgrade.
I've been happy with my MacBook Pro early 2011 for a while now, however it's hard drive just failed and I was able to back it up to my 2TB iMac HD. Which brings me to my next point, I now have a job (grad student) and have an office to which I will be bringing my old iMac. I looked quickly on eBay just now and a T7600 now runs around $75, which is 100% within my budget. I know I'm finally upgrading three years later, but I thought I would announce that I'm FINALLY going ahead with it. I will keep you updated in the next few weeks after I receive the new processor. Thanks for all the help way back when.

- mar2194
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:46 PM   #53
Intell
macrumors P6

Kudos mar2194 for keeping this thread alive with the original topic. With a nice T7600 upgrade you should hopefully be able to get another few years out of that faithful old iMac.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:07 AM   #54
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar2194 View Post
I've been happy with my MacBook Pro early 2011 for a while now, however it's hard drive just failed and I was able to back it up to my 2TB iMac HD. Which brings me to my next point, I now have a job (grad student) and have an office to which I will be bringing my old iMac. I looked quickly on eBay just now and a T7600 now runs around $75, which is 100% within my budget. I know I'm finally upgrading three years later, but I thought I would announce that I'm FINALLY going ahead with it. I will keep you updated in the next few weeks after I receive the new processor. Thanks for all the help way back when.

- mar2194
You are very welcome. My father (87 years young) is still using my daughter's old T7200 iMac and it feels perfectly fine so a T7600 should work great in yours. Best of luck and props for keeping the old girl running.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
core 2 duo, core duo, imac upgrade, intel processor, sata